‘Identity Thief’ steals hours of your time

Melissa+McCarthy+stars+as+Sandy+Patterson%2C+a+woman+who+has+stolen+Jason+Batemans+characters+identity.+The+movie+opened+at+%231+at+the+box+office+with+%2434.5+million+in+its+first+weekend.+
Courtesy of Universal Pictures
Melissa McCarthy stars as Sandy Patterson, a woman who has stolen Jason Bateman’s character’s identity. The movie opened at #1 at the box office with $34.5 million in its first weekend.

“Identity Thief” felt as if it dragged on forever, and the laughs were few and far between. “Identity Thief” starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman, felt as if it dragged on forever. The laughs were few and far between.

It is easy to guess the plot of the movie based on the title, and that’s one of the things about this movie that made it not so enjoyable.

You knew going into the movie theater that this movie would be about someone stealing another person’s identity.

Bateman plays Sandy Patterson and finds out that McCarthy’s character, Diana is stealing his identity so he drives to Miami to find her.

Plot aside, it was clear that it was going to be funny, considering McCarthy had stellar years in 2011 and 2012 with very comedic movies, and Bateman is always funny in his roles.

At first thought you would think this duo would equal a hilarious film, but sadly that didn’t happen.

McCarthy and Bateman did have chemistry with each other, but still the laughs didn’t seem to come at you as rapidly as expected.

They were scattered throughout the movie.

Director Seth Gordon seemed to forget to create a script that would make us laugh. Instead it seemed like he purely relied on McCarthy and Bateman to just naturally do it.

The action scenes when McCarthy and Bateman were trying to go from Florida back to Denver, were an upside to the movie.

“Identity Thief” had some action when McCarthy and Bateman’s characters were being chased by two associates of a man that is in prison due to McCarthy’s identity theft.

The two characters, Julian played by T.I, and Marisol played by Genesis Rodriguez, worked well together and made the movie a little better.

Without giving away the ending, it’s safe to say it was the best part of the movie.

It was cute and surprising and kind of made the whole movie worth it.

If it weren’t for the action scenes, it would just be two characters staring at you from a screen trying to make you laugh.

This movie would totally be worth a movie night at a friends house, but isn’t a movie worth the over-priced admission at a theater.

Alexandra Scoville
Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.