The dream is now to be screened at cerritos

Davis Guggenhiem’s latest film, The Dream is Now, to be screened soon in the teleconference center.

History major Daniel Flores spoke with excitement when he remembered how he got involved in the The Dream movement.

“I went to a press conference in Downtown Los Angeles when Mr. Unai Montes-Irueste approached me.”

Montes-Irueste was working with acclaimed director Davis Guggenhiem on his latest film, entitled The Dream is Now.

Guggenhiem is most known for his documentary films “An Inconvienient Truth”, which brought attention to Global warming and “Waiting for Superman”, that focused on the school system here in America.

His latest work is a documentary that focuses on illegal immigrants in the United States and the highly debated DREAM act.

Created as bipartisan legislation by Senator Orion Hatch of Utah and Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois, the DREAM act would give “qualifying undocumented youth would be eligible for a 6 year long conditional path to citizenship that requires completion of a college degree or two years of military service.” according the act’s website.

Samantha Flores, a history major, explains how the film is portraying itself.” The film tells the story of different undocumented students and how they see things. It is their story as they see it.”

Before it is shown anywhere else, Congress will be watching the film on April 10th to help decide whether the act should be passed.

The screening will be held in the teleconference center on April 30th from 11 to 12:30, with another planned on April 19th. The April 19th showing will be held in a yet undecided location.

The People’s History Association here will hold both at Cerritos College.

Daniel Flores is a Dreamer who claims that this is “history in the making.”

Carlos Holguin
Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.