Students snub and praise Grammys

Full of upsets and surprises, the 56th annual Grammy awards left some viewers, like biology major Jose Garcia, with a bad taste in their mouth.

“Daft Punk should not have won album of the year,” said Garcia. “They just didn’t have a bigger year then they have had before.”

In addition to winning Album Of The Year, Daft Punk went on to win Record Of The Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Dance/Electronica Album, and Best Engineered Album. The duo then got the crowd up and dancing with a live performance of their hit, “Get Lucky”.

This marked the duo’s first live performance in six years.

The performances themselves were following a repetitive formula of solos turning into collaborations.
“I thought Beyonce’s performance with Jay-Z was great. I really liked her dancing”, said nursing major Claudia Rayo.

While Beyonce’s opening performance did start the night of right, she walked away empty handed at the end of the night losing the Best Rap/Sung Collaboration to her husband Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake’s ‘Holy Grail’.

Between the performances, host LL Cool Jay reminded the audience of important musical anniversaries including the 30th anniversary of Def Jam records and the upcoming 50th anniversary of The Beatles first performance in America on ‘The Ed Sullivan Show.’

The theme of old meeting new seemed to carried along the whole show. Old Grammy winning artists performing with musicians of another generation were the real focus of the show.
Metallica showed this by joining with pianist Lang Lang to perform One, while Dave Grohlof the Foo Fighters sang with Paul McCartney.

“Metallica with Lang Lang really surprised me. The could still pull it off after all these years” said Jose Escamilla, an engineering major, who is a Metallica fan.

A full list of winners and nominees from this year’s Grammy’s can be found at www.grammy.com/nominees

Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.