And the Oscar goes to…

The 86th Annual Academy Awards, more known as the Oscars aired this past Sunday and it brought not only big laughs and big wins but heartfelt moments as well.

Perhaps the funniest moment of the evening was the hostess Ellen DeGeneres’s opening monologue.

Her sharp yet harmless jabs at stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, and “pretty”, as she described, Jared Leto drew laughs from the audience and started out the show smoothly.

The shows first winner of the evening was Jared Leto for his supporting role in ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ where he portrays a transgender woman who is HIV positive.

Leto walked up with an almost expressionless face but started his appreciation speech for the award with a short story about his mothers up bringing and inspiration she created for him.

Cerritos College student Stephany Beltran who watched the acceptance speech said, “As soon as he started I thought it was going to be really awkward as soon as he started saying that the girl from Louisiana … I felt bad because I thought everyone was gonna laugh at him and he looks stupid, and once he finished his speech and he was actually talking about his mother, it was the cutest thing and it was improvised which was even more amazing.”

The most anticipated awards of the night however, were probably Best Actress in a Supporting Role award as well as the Best Picture award.

Among the most nominated this year was movies like ‘Gravity’ and ’12 Years a Slave’ which gave off the main rivalry buzz of this year’s Oscars.

Both movies had several nominations in different categories such as Directing, Film Editing, and Best Picture.

While both movies were greatly anticipated winners for the night, the live musical performances by artists such as Pharrell Williams, U2, Pink, and Idina Menzel were also greatly enjoyed by viewers.

Jasmin Banuelos an undecided major attending Cerritos said, “I’m like really big into Disney so obviously I really looked forward to the ‘Let it go’ performance and the fact that it won for best original song was cool.”

‘Frozen’, which was a hit movie at the box office for Disney was nominated in two different categories and won for both. Best Original Song as well as Animated Feature Film.

Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, both writers for the song ‘Let it go’ for the animated film ‘Frozen’ received their Oscar for Best Original Song and looked completely over the moon as they accepted it.

Banuelos continued by saying her favorite speech of the night was for Best Original Song, “The writers of ‘Let it go’ they did like a little song and they made sure that everyone’s names rhymed so it was really cute.”

Between the performances and winners of the evening, a heartfelt memoriam was set up to remember some of those in the film business who have lost their life in the past year and was followed by the song ‘The Wind Beneath My Wings’ by Bette Midler.

As this year’s Oscars came to an end, probably the biggest award of the night was up. While nine different films competed in this category, the real question laid between ’12 Years a Slave’ and ‘Gravity’. Which one would win for Best Picture? In the end ‘Gravity’ took home 7 Oscars, but did not win Best Picture. ’12 Years a Slave’ achieved the biggest win but only took a total of 3 Oscars in the end.

Solmayra Mendez, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello. My name is Solmayra and this is my second semester being on the talon marks staff. Having taken this class before, I learned a lot about the steps that are taken to bring a newspaper together and really liked enjoyed working with the rest of the writers and editors.