Art Gallery pushes the boundaries of art

Luis Guzman
Jose L. Centeno, graphic design major, looks at one of the many pieces of art with a friend in the Savage Sentamentality portion of the art gallery. The art gallery featured artist outside of Cerritos College. Photo credit: Luis Guzman

Cerritos College was host to an art gallery on Tuesday, Sept. 2, in FA-50. The art gallery included two separate themes, Savage Sentimentality and Superficial Landscape.

Savage Sentimentality focused on art that is not traditional and included art that is emotional or sentimental. Superficial Landscape featured interactive art and pieces that focus on landmarks that people would otherwise most likely ignore.

The arts gallery was free for anyone to see. Drinks and food were provided for people who participated in the art show.

For James MacDevitt, director of the gallery, the purpose of the art gallery was to bring art that people would usually see in Los Angeles at Cerritos College.

All the art pieces that were included in the gallery came from professionals who teach at universities like UCLA, Columbia University and Cal State Northridge.

MacDevitt said that he wanted students who are getting into art to see a different perspective of looking at it.

“Most students, starting out, are focused on fundamentals. All of the work in the show, in both shows, really try and breakdown that very limiting way of looking at artistic production.

He continued, “Art is not about a particular media, art is a way of thinking. These objects sort of force you or ask you to think in an artistic fashion.”

Liz Nurenberg, an artist who teaches at Cal State Northridge, showcased her artwork so people could interact with it.

All of her work is touchable and wearable; sometimes she uses sounds or drawings, like the one’s that were presented in the Superficial Landscape portion of the art gallery.

“My goal is to make intimate moments in public spaces, they generally involve two or more people to kind of complete the structure,” Nurenberg said.

Nurnberg explained that most of the work that she deals with tries to strike that balance between feeling comfortable and awkward.

“I’m really interested, especially right now with how connected we all are with our cell phone; human, real moments of people connecting is important.”

She thinks of her works as props for interaction where people can share moments with either close friends or strangers.

The art at times would be straightforward or confusing, according to Graphic Design major Jose L. Centeno.

“Some of them makes me think; others I’m able to capture right away and analyze and somehow connect with it. Some I’m still confused about, don’t know quite what it is, but I like thinking more behind the story why the person created it,” Centeno said.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.