The ‘Super Smash’ epidemic on campus

If you were to head to the Student Center in between classes, you can see that a swarm of students are playing their Nintendo 3DS systems.

This is due to the newly released 3DS game “Super Smash Bros.” and its impact on the Nintendo mobile-gaming franchise.

The original “Super Smash Bros.” was released in 1999 for the Nintendo 64 system, only to be followed by two successful sequels: “Super Smash Bros. Melee” for the Nintendo Game Cube and “Super Smash Bros. Brawl” for the Nintendo Wii.

The game is extremely iconic due to its involvement with many of Nintendo’s most loved characters.

For the first time, this iconic game has made it to the handheld systems, becoming and instant success due to its appeal toward both competitive and casual gamers.

“It (the game) houses a lot of Nintendo’s characters like Mario, Link from the Legend of Zelda series. Then (it) bring(s) things like Pac-Man and Sonic; then (it’s) just this big giant fight,” Film major Daniel Gomez said.

Gomez went on to explain that it’s very easy to meet people through the video game.

“The community around ‘Smash’ is usually really open. If you are not friends with anybody, there is usually always (an online) room going around, especially in the Student Center. And people are really open.”

WIth so many people playing on campus, Theatre Major Dempsey Garcia said, “If you can find someone with a 3DS and challenge (him) to a ‘Smash’ … it’s pretty easy to find a new group to hang out with.”

The game features a lot of new customization options not previously available that many students seem to enjoy, such as creating your own character based off of the Mii’s from your 3DS system, customizable characters and available costumes for several characters.

Garcia said, “This game is really innovative and it’s pretty awesome. What I like about the game the most is you can add Mii fighters in the game and not only customize them, but also (the) already existing characters in the game.”

in addition to simply being able to play the game with strangers, the mass amount of 3DS systems on campus allows the full use of the 3DS “Street Pass” feature which is used to unlock more features for both the game and the 3DS system.

Christian Mancer, undecided major, enjoys the game and uses his time in between classes to play with friends on campus and uses the “Street Pass” feature to his advantage.

“I honestly think it’s really great because you’re able to get a lot more ‘Street Passes’ this way because now everybody is bringing their DS with them.

“You get to do stuff while you’re walking around and get more functions of the game itself. As far as ‘Smash’ goes, it is really easy to find a match, especially in the Student Center.”

A student can go to almost any table at the Student center, ask to play and most likely be welcomed.

The game is sold out in most places and has sold over 2.8 million copies within its first weekend.

Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.