Dancing for culture and a cause

Photo credit: Carlos Holguin

As sociology major Raul Armenta played the traditional Mexican song ‘El Son De La Negra’ loudly over speakers, members of the MEChA club danced a folklorico to a crowd that grew as the dance continued.

“We’re here to help not only acknowledge Cesar Chavez and his importance, but also to inform others who may not know who he was or what he did,” said Armenta.

Laura Montion, psychology major and another dancer began their performance while wearing elaborate dances.

“We dance not just for Chavez, but to represent our country and culture. This is a dance that is meant to inspire others,” said Montion.

After the first dance, spectators were allowed to approach a booth that had been created by the club for photos. The booth featured home-made cards and posters built in the style of the popular game Loteria, where images are matched in a style similar to bingo.

The cards feature images made famous by Chavez, including the images of Chavez himself. Students who approached the booth could take photos with the dancers between the two performances.

Juliet Martinez, female co-chair of the MECha club, also danced in the event. She noted the “lack of representation for hispanics on campus.”

“People feel like it doesn’t matter anymore, but it does,” continued Martinez.

“Other clubs on campus have a lot going, so why don’t we? This is how we get noticed.”

Students did notice as the second performance began with a group dance consisting of five dancers dancing to ‘Y Como Quieres Que Te Quiera’ brought a large crowd of students to watch.

Richardo Moreno, hospitality management major and Jesus Ocegueda, criminal justice major, both stopped to watch the performance.

“We heard the music from across campus, and decided to check it out,” stated Ocegueda. “It made me feel like I was back in middle or high school.”

Moreno joked that hearing the music made him feel “like I was at home.”

“They’re really giving it justice though, the dance and culture,” he added. “For representation, it’s a start.”

Martinez could not elaborate as to why the representation on campus was so low, but said,”I can’t really talk about that here, but there are definitly multiple reasons here on campus that we can’t express ourselves and culture.”

Carlos Holguin
Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.