Future scientists reflects time at Cerritos College

Egbert Adolfo Castro former Cerritos College student is among the many students who are transferring this semester. Photo credit: Carlos Marquez

Egbert Adolfo Castro former Cerritos College student is among the many students who are transferring this semester.

The 20-year-old majors in Pharmacological Chemistry.

Growing up in Lakewood, California, Egbert graduated from Mayfair High School and is a first generation Hispanic college student in his family.

Having an interest in science at a very young age, Castro took many science courses over his time at Cerritos College.

During his time at Cerritos College, Castro was a member of the iFalcon club, the scholars honor program and a former officer of the biochemist club.

Among the many good memories he experienced at Cerritos College, he will always remember the many field trips he and his fellow classmates attended such as a hike at Crystal Cove.

At the end of this semester, Castro will take the big step to transfer to UC San Diego which he believes will help him to grow as an individual and get deep in his major as he expects to find new opportunities along the way.

“For me, it was really just between UC Irvine and UC San Diego, but I felt that UC San Diego will give me a better experience. Plus, there is a lot of research opportunities I look forward to,” Castro said.

As Castro is moving to a new phase in his life, he will always keep in mind the good experiences he had at Cerritos College.

From meeting professors that were very helpful, such as Professor Stieber and Professor Henderson, to all the projects he worked on.

“Part of the Scholars honor program lets you work with professors on study projects. They call it a ‘honors contract’ but is really a research project. With that program I was able got to work one-on-one with two bio professors researching something new, learning something interesting,” Castro said.

Carlos Marquez, Opinion Editor
My name is Carlos Marquez and I am Opinion Editor for this fall semester in Talon Marks at Cerritos College. There is not much to say about me, I'm a regular student just like you majoring in Journalism and getting closer and closer to graduate with an Associates degree. I'm a fan of comic books and movies, I am what some may call a geek; I guess. I like to be aware of the events surrounding my community and share points of view with people to learn something new. I think is important to turn the community's voice into echo in order to inspire,make a difference and support a common cause.