Favorite albums of 2015

Edited by Grester Celis-Acosta, transcripts by Karla Enriquez

Terrel: “We’re going to be here talking music, that’s a pretty popular topic, so we’re going to go over a couple of things ranging from our top albums of the year, so my name is Terrel, I’m the sports copy editor. I’m here with:”

Karla: “I’m Karla, I’m the news editor.”

Grester: “and Grester, the managing editor.”

Terrel: “Alright, alright, so uhm does anyone want to start first or where are we going from here?”

Grester: “Ladies first.”

Karla: “Ladies first.”

Terrel: “That’s what I was thinking, Karla have at it.”

Karla: “Oh, jeez. Okay, keep in mind that there are so many amazing albums that came out this year and I had trouble. I re-arranged my list a couple of times. Uhm, but this is what I came up with. Are you guys ready? So, I’m going to start with No. 5.”

Karla:-“No. 5 is ‘Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Sit’ by Courtney Barnett

Uhm this was a pretty awesome albums, it has a lot of electric guitar and really really good stuff.”

Karla:-“No. 4 is ‘Magic Whip’ by Blur.”

“Uh, this band kind of went away for a while, they came back and released something amazing, they grabbed from every single album and put into this final album.”

Karla-“And then 3, I have ‘Coming Home’ by Leon Bridges.”

Audio Clip of “Coming Home” plays

“It’s just this really amazing retro soul album from a new comer.”

Karla:-“No. 2, I have ‘Sound and Color’ by Alabama Shakes”

“Uhm, just so much electric guitar in this, it’s amazing.”

Karla:-“No. 1 I have ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’ by Kendrick Lamar.”

Grester: “I’ll do my Top 5 List starting with No. 5”

Grester:-“No. 5 went to ‘Tetsuo & Youth’ by Lupe Fiasco.

“Lupe Fiasco was one of the albums I was really excited for this year, it was just really good. His song called ‘Mural,’ which is like six minutes of just straight rap

Audio of “Mural Plays

Grester: …has a lot of good bars. It was beautifully done and it was great to listen to Lupe Fiasco again for a while.

Grester: “My No. 4 went to ‘GO:OD AM’ by Mac Miller. It was different from his last album. I feel like Mac Miller was witty with his rhymes, he had a lot of good punch lines and he wasn’t really, he wasn’t trying to be funny anymore. He was more serious and his beat selection was just great, like it was nice.”

Grester: “My No. 3 went to ‘Compton, the Soundtrack’ by Dr. Dre. It was great to listen to Dr. Dre after a long time. I listened to his album, first track, oh my god. What is it called? ‘Talk About It,’ oh my god. It goes hard.”

Audio clip of Talk About it plays

Grester: “And ‘Deep Water,” beautiful.

Terrel: “Medicine Man.”

Grester: “My No. 2 goes to ‘The Incredible True Story’ by Logic. I love logic, I love his music.”

Karla: “It’s a great album.”

Grester: “And it’s a great album. I love that he did something different that not a lot of hip-hop artists do, which is take a sci-fi type of thing and did it through his album. It was really good how he did it.

Grester: “And my No. 1 goes to ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’ by Kendrick.” See, originally, like going into this I was like ‘Ah, I really like Logic, and I was close to putting him in my No. 1, but uh, the reason I gave it to ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’ is because I feel like this is a really powerful album, out of all of the albums that came out this year it was really different, I didn’t expect for it to have all of this funk.

Clip of King Kunta plays

Terrel: “The top 5 albums of the year that I have, again I didn’t do them in any particular order. I have Wale ‘The Album About Nothing.’ It was something that really went under the radar. I have Drake, “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.” The way he dropped it was good in itself. Of course, Beyonce did it first, but whatever, anyway.

Laughing in the background

Terrel: “I have Drake making the list again with Future ‘What A Time to be Alive.’ Uhm, it was kind of interesting to see both of them adapt to each other’s style. I was thinking, like when I heard about it, like who’s, is it going to be Future singing or is it going to be Drake trapping, like one of these aren’t going to work.”
Audio of Jumpman plays

Terrel: “and I was definitely surprised, it actually worked.” I have Kendrick’s ‘To Pimp A Butterfly.’ Great album. I don’t know much to say. Lastly, I have The Weeknd’s “Beauty Behind the Madness.” Uhm, you don’t get that soulful sound anymore. If you actually listen to the content behind his music, there’s a lot of drugs, there’s a lot of sex, but the way that he delivers it, you would have never guessed that.”

Karla: “Right.”

Terrel: “You would never assume that.”

Audio of ‘The Hills’ plays

Terrel: “And it’s definitely one of them albums where I can honestly say you can pick any single track and make it a single, and I think that speaks volumes in itself.”

Audio of ‘Cant Feel My Face’ plays

Grester: “Make sure you check out this podcast, follow us on facebook, twitter, instagram.”

Karla: “And we have another podcast coming with our top albums, ever.”

Grester: “That too.”

Karla: “So check that out.”

Grester: “So, yeah, see ya!”

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese
Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!