Viridiana Cabrera, Nursing major, provides students with information on why they should join MEChA on club day. MEChA enforces student empowerment on campus.
Vanessa Villasenor

Club info day encourages student potential

Clubs filled up Falcon Square on Tuesday in order to encourage student participation.

The Social Science patio will also be home of the second part of club info day on Wednesday.

Approximately 47 clubs signed up to participate at club info day.

The clubs on campus are for all students and offer many resources for the college community.

Nursing Major and President of the Phi Pho Pi Club, Christian San Jose said, “Our club helps you build confidence by developing your public speaking skills.”

The Inter Club Council (ICC) of Cerritos College puts together this event to get students to network and break out of their shell.

Many students of the college took advantage of club info day to promote their passion, such as Political Science Major Annalissa Chavez.

“Today, our club is out here trying to reach out to people asking them if they would like to learn about God. We encourage students to meet our club members Tuesdays and Wednesdays in front of the Student Center at 11:30 a.m.”

Commissioner of Day Time Activities Alveena Memon ran the Student Activities table and wanted to do something vibrant by giving out prizes to students who participated in club info day.

Students can pick up a checklist from the Student Activities club booth in which they need to interact with at least ten clubs and fill out the list with information from each club.

After returning the completed slip back to the booth, students can claim their prize.

“Being in clubs helps me communicate with my peers. There are volunteer opportunities and it looks good on a resume along with motivating me to participate.” Memon said.

The ICC pushes to make club info day both entertaining and informative.

Political Science Major Alan Babadilla said, “I like club info day because I get to learn about different clubs and if I like a club I will join.”

According to Commissioner of ICC Joseph Frausto, any club can participate for club info day so much as they are a club of Cerritos College.

Clubs can pick up a request form prior to the event or even last minute petition if there is room.

The ICC takes time with planning this event and really looks forward to working with clubs both new and old.

“We want to encourage student engagement and show students that there is more to just going to class. The school is full of potential,” Frausto said.

Part two of club info day will be held from 5 p.m.-7 p.m. on Wednesday and is open to all students.

Students can create a club and go through the ICC as long as they have an adviser and 10 participants.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Vanessa Villasenor
Vanessa Villasenor, Staff Writer
Hey! My name is Vanessa Villasenor. This will be my first semester serving on the newspaper but hopefully will not be my last before I transfer. I am a journalism major and although it terrifies me to talk to people I don’t know it is also the reason I love this field so much. This field gives me a good excuse to cover up for me just being really nosey. Don’t get me wrong I do like a good chisme just as much as the next person but I also enjoy photography, listening to music that has substance, and binge watching foreign movies (subtitles are life!). .Besides that I’m just a fun-sized girl trying to enjoy life. You can find me on twitter: @Vanerebe95 and on Instagram: @nessarella17