‘What a Time to be Alive’ mixtape doesn’t disappoint

Oh what a time to be alive it is! Two of hip-hop’s most powerful and most popular artists collaborated for one of the best projects of 2015.

Drake and Future shocked the world on Sunday Sept. 20 as they released their 11-track mixtape.

In comparison to other mixtapes that has been released this calendar year it definitely ranks near the top. Furthermore, it is arguably one of the best projects in recent memory in hip-hop.

The mixtape sold over 350,000 copies in only its first five days on the market, this according to Nielsen Music.

It also reached number one on the Billboard’s Top 200 chart. An accomplishment few have reached.

The transition of the mixtape is rather fluid as Future and Drake collaborated for the first nine songs of the tape. Subsequently, the next two songs belong to Future and Drake respectively to close out the collection.

As rumors circulated surrounded the idea of the mixtape on social media for days prior its release, many fans pondered the idea of what type of music the project would include.

To the surprise many the tape is mostly Future’s style of bass-pumping trap music with lean and prescription pill filled lyrics. However, Drake seems to match Future’s forte as he continues to go bar-for-bar with his associate on multiple songs such as “Digital Dash” and “Live From the Gutter.”

Anyone who feels Drake should give up the charade of rapping about a life nobody believes he actually lived and should go back to the old Drake, Drizzy has a message for you:

“I can’t rap like that all young and naive/ Not after all the [expletive] I’ve seen and things I believe/ Drastically changing, thank you for all your patience/ I’m just in a different space and I choose to embrace it.”

Drake -“30 for 30 Freestyle”

In addition to Drake matching Future’s genre of music, Future returns to favor as he imitates R&B style hip-hop song more fitting of Drake, “Plastic Bag.” The song mirrors a “Fall For Your Type” sort of rhythmic tone, of course that’s a song Drake did with fellow singer Jamie Foxx.

Drake is coming off the highly noted verbal sparring with Meek Mill, while Future continues a string of success like no other.

Social media has been buzzing with talks of Future having completed a five-peat. Meaning the artist has release five projects that have all been classic in one way or another.

In the last 11 months Future has released four mixtapes:

• “Monster” 10/28/14
  • “Beast Mode” 1/15/15
  • “56 Nights” 3/21/15
  • “What a time to be alive” 9/20/15

In between “56 Nights” and “What a time to be alive,” Future released his third studio album “Dirty Sprite 2” in July.

After such a world-stopping partnership one may ask what’s next for the dynamic duo. Drake may have eluded to multiple projects in the future:

“Ya, ya up and way/ Y’all should have seen this [expletive] coming in May/ We doing 300 records a day/ Who really think they could get in the way.”

Drake and Future- “I’m the Plug”

The self-proclaimed “Six God” still has fans anxiously waiting on the release of his “Views from the 6” album.

As for his partner, who knows what the future may hold. Hopefully, another classic mixtape such as this one.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!