Hispanic heritage month continues with festive dance

Grester Celis-Acosta
On Thursday, Oct. 1, Cerritos College continued its Hispanic Heritage month celebration. This time Romero Gurrulo, charro, performed a Mexican dance called a charreria at the stage in Falcon Square. Photo credit: Grester Celis-Acosta

Students were in awe Thursday, Oct.1, as two charros jumped in and out in lassos during a festive dance.

This is actually known as a sport called charreria and is part of the Hispanic culture.

This event was all put together by Veronica Herrera and the Hispanic Heritage Committee as part of celebrating Hispanic heritage month.

Herrera actually has a close relationship with the two charros, which happen to be her cousins.

Romero Gurrolu, 32, said he has been practicing the sport since as long as he could remember, but his first recollection of competing in a tournament was when he was 11-years-old.

Charros usually twirl their lasso’s on top of a horse to add dramatic effect, “I really wanted to bring my horse and perform, but the school said no.”

He hopes next year they will be able to get the school permission to bring a horse.

“In the United States people view charreria as a hobby, but in Mexico it is treated as a sport,” Gurrolu said.

Gurrolu will be competing in a tournament in Mexico later in the month and will actually be competing against his cousin, Alejandro Gurrolu who is 26-years-old.

He has also been practicing the sport from an early age, but he respects his cousin and humbly admits that Romero is better.

The two cousins use to compete in competitions on the same team, but now they enjoy competing against each other.

Alejandro prides himself on teaching his younger family members the sport and encourages them to start at a young age.

The advice he would give to someone attempting to learn the sport is, “It’s just like any sport you have to put effort and practice to get good.”

Frank Rodarte
Frank Rodarte, Staff Writer
The multi-talented legend that is the man Frank Rodarte has come to be endeared throughout many a kick-backs, concerts and various other forms of social gatherings. While some note his odd claims to uniqueness, such as “Professional Crowd Surfer” or “Set list connoisseur”, most have come to appreciate his stage and media performances - ranging from short film actor to his band’s front man. All-in-all this music buff and sports fanatic is, when all is said and done, an entertainer, and his comedic personality is sure to win your vote. “Vote for what”, you may ask. Don’t you worry your pretty little head; he’s got this.
Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23