Dr. Joanna Downey Schilling becomes new dean of academic affairs in July

On July 1 Cerritos College will be welcoming, Dr. Joanna Downey Schilling, new dean of academic affairs to campus.

She talked about some the goals she hopes to accomplish when she takes office at Cerritos College, “any new person (that) comes in, the primary goal is of course to continue serving students in he academic areas.”

Dr. Schilling also said that it is essential to learn about all of the important things that are currently happening at Cerritos College so that she can build on them.

Dr. Schilling continued, “So until I get there it’s a little bit hard for me to be too specific on exactly what I would like to accomplish except ensure student success and ensure that we give students a clear pathway to reach their educational goals.”

According to Dr. Schilling some of he reasons she chose to come and work at Cerritos College is because it is an excellent school and considers Cerritos a sister school to Rio Hondo College.

Dr. Schilling talks about her time at Rio Hondo College “It’s been great, it’s been an excellent experience and I’m going to miss my coleagues and our students tremendously.”

She added that despite all she’s leaving behind all of these relationships at Rio Hondo, she looks foward to establishing new relationships at Cerritos College.

Dr. Schilling talks about some of the reasons she looks foward to coming to Cerritos College “New programs, the traditions at Cerritos, excellent faculty, great students and a lot of the students that we have at Rio Hondo attend classes at Cerritos as well.”

Cerritos College President Dr. Linda L. Lacey said, “Well she was the dean for many years and just more recently she was the vice president of academic affairs.”

Dr. Lacey said that prior to her time at Rio Hondo, Dr. Schilling held the position of assistant vice president of tudent services at Santa Ana College dating back to 2002.

She added “Well we’re excited obviously to have her on board, I think the students will enjoying working with her also she’s very energetic, very talented, very personable.”

Dr. Marilyn Brock has filled in as interim vice president of academic affairs and done an exceptional job according to Dr. Lacey.

Dr. Lacy continues “We’re looking foward to Joanna getting on board so that we can keep moving our student success agenda foward.”

Dr. Schilling will be attending the planning retreat on May 18 which will be held at the teleconference center as Dr. Lacey said.

Interim Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. Marilyn Brock shares her thoughts on Dr. Shilling, “She’s a wonderful candidate for the position and I think the college will enjoy working with her and having her in this position.”

According to Dr. Brock, Dr. Schilling previously held the position of dean of fine arts and for the past six months she has been serving as the interim vice president of academic affairs at Rio Hondo College.

Dr. Brock continues to talk about Dr. Schilling “She just finished her doctorette, she’s a very well seasoned professional, she’s an excellent administrator and I think she’ll do very well here.”

She concluded by saying that she thinks everyone is excited for her and believe that she will be a wonderful addition to Cerritos College.

Mario Jimenez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Mario. I'm a cool chill person to talk to. You don't believe just come talk to me when you see me.