Professor receives Ph.D.

Kimberly Rosenfeld, a speech communication professor and department chair at Cerritos College, received her Ph.D. at UCLA’s Graduate School of Education with her dissertation focusing on computer mediated communication, education and philosophy this June.

Before receiving her Ph.D. at UCLA, Rosenfeld received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in speech communication at the California State University, Fullerton.

“As I progressed, there were moments of euphoria mixed with frustration and stress that all crescendoed with the writing of the dissertation,” Rosenfeld said. “Once it was all over, I felt a sense of pride and serious accomplishment.”

“Her colleagues were thrilled when she received her Ph.D.,” speech professor Angela Hoppe-Nagao said.

“That’s the great thing about working in a college environment, people are very supportive of us continuing on and furthering our education,” Hoppe-Nagao added.

Hoppe-Nagao has known Rosenfeld since they attended Cal State Fullerton and believes she is remarkable for her hard work and success.

One of the biggest hurdles that Rosenfeld overcame was keeping every facet of her life in sync.

During my Ph.D. moments, I felt like every waking hour was devoted to some form of work whether that was teaching my classes at Cerritos College, attending classes at UCLA, researching, writing papers, caring for my infant son, maintaining my marriage or keeping some semblance of contact with family and friends,” Rosenfeld said.

Hoppe-Nagao was well aware of Rosenfeld’s multiple challenges and said, “Being successful in any one of those things in and of itself is a remarkable feat, and not only that, but in completing it (Ph.D program) she received a special award for her dissertation,” Hoppe-Nagao said.

Rosenfeld realized that her career was something that benefits from higher education.

“The real benefit is the sheer fact that it changes your life. There is a euphoria of learning how to exist in the world differently that is indescribable,” she said.

Students see this passion for her academia through her speech classes.

“She has an ability to engage with students, to be extra attentive, to make sure that we understand what’s going on,” one of her students, nursing major Destiny Poplar said.

“She makes the class enjoyable because every day it’s something unexpected and she allows us to have fun with the topic at hand,” Poplar added.

Lyzette Purisima, philosophy major, also agreed with Poplar that Rosenfeld has a spontaneous, spunky and approachable personality.

“You don’t feel scared or intimidated. Like sometimes, some professors, you don’t even want to talk to them,” Purisima said, “but her, she’s very understanding and she always tries her best for all of her students.”

Rosenfeld believes that when it comes to education, it is important for students to tap into the support systems designed to foster their success.

In her own experience, she felt fortunate to have her UCLA advisors, colleagues at Cerritos College and her husband as her support system.

“When times got hard, I could consistently count on my confidant and friend, who also happens to be my husband,” Rosenfeld claimed.

Rosenfeld’s secret to her juggling her Ph.D. program was vigilant organization, long nights, early mornings, and lots of belief in delayed gratification.

Rosenfeld feels her foundation was solid because of certain individuals at Cerritos College.

“Over the years, I have had the honor of working with inspiring intellectuals across campus like Sue Parsons, George Jarrett, Ana Torres-Bower, Jan Connal, Frank Mixson and many others who have provided me with fresh and complex perspectives that made me a better teacher and more sophisticated Ph.D. student,” Rosenfeld said.

Alexandra Gomez
Alexandra Gomez, Staff Writer
Daydreaming, eating, and then finally writing about the topic is my personal process for creating a story. My name is Alexandra Gomez and I am a psychology addict with a passion for writing. I grew up in Norwalk all of my life, and next year I hope to attend a school farther than the 562 area code.