New food vendors decided, will replace some current vendors in Fall 2014

ASCC President Juan Ramirez presents methods of getting new vendors on campus to the board of trustees. Photo credit: Gustavo Olguin

The Frantones that has been in the food court for more than 20 years, along with two other vendors, will no longer be there when school starts up again this fall semester.

The Italian food mainstay and Chicago Harv’s are going to be replaced by Fresh and Natural in hopes to bring healthier food options on campus.

Director of Purchasing, Mark Logan, had high praise for the company and would be impressed if there was another company that could compare to them.

“They have more experience than most food services do when it comes to serving a community college, so they have a really good track record,” he said.

While the same company would be taking over both locations, each would have something different to offer.

The Frantones location is going to offer an Asian type food with the concept of one bowl, one meal.

The Culinary Arts Department will take the space that Oh No Tokyo occupies, with plans of using that space as their cafeteria and kitchen.

All of the other vendors will remain on campus, but there will be an addition of a coffee cart that will be able to sell Coffee Bean products the way Zebra Cafe sells Starbucks products. The cart’s location is still in the works.

The Chicago Harv’s location is going to offer burgers, hotdogs and a Subway like service when it comes to deli-fresh sandwiches.

Logan was aware of the demand for students and tried to get as close as possible to those that wanted a Subway.

“We made sure that we contacted every Subway in the district,” he said. “We had three Subway owners show up at our meetings, but it’s hard for a Subway to be profitable from what I am being told.”

The Fresh and Natural takeover continues with the Elbow Room and Logan says that it will be like convenience type store that is currently on campus.

“I think the students are going to be excited that area is going to get a facelift and that they are going to offer fresh and healthier options,” he said.

Another aspect to Fresh and Natural, is that it will be offering vegetarian options that Dhruti Khetnai, Associated Student of Cerritos College senator, is excited for.

“As a vegetarian, it’s really important for us to have a variety,” she said. “We don’t eat salads everyday, I swear. So I think it’s good to have a variety and it’s going to be a positive change with the vendors that are coming in on campus.”

ASCC president Juan Ramirez had getting healthier food option on his platform when he was running for office and he did not want to be that politician that didn’t come through with his promise.

“To actually accomplish something that I specifically said during my campaign, it’s an amazing feeling,” Ramirez said. “It feels like anything is possible.”

Gustavo Olguin, Managing Editor
My name Gustavo Olguin and I am currently the managing editor at Talonmarks at Cerritos College. Interested in sports and working in front of the camera as a reporter. I'm majoring in journalism and transferring in the Fall of 2014. This is my last semester with Talon Marks and Cerritos College, so if you don't know my face by now, I have failed you.