Presidential and Trustee Orientation informs candidates for campaign

The Presidential and Student Trustee election candidates had an orientation on March 25 to help guide them in the process for their campaigns.

Members of the orientation committee introduced and explained rules and regulations for each of the candidates. The members of the Associated Students of Cerritos College Court also will serve as the Elections Committee and are responsible for supervising elections and handle complaints.

The candidates running for the election are Vanessa Vega, Joe Nino, Daniel Flores, and Lance Makinano for student trustee, Aldemar Sanchez, Miles Aiello, and Hector Arillano for president, and Dennis Garcia, Charlie Zuniga, and Charles Caguoia for vice-president.

Student Trustee applicant Daniel Flores said, “ I want to be the voice of all students of Cerritos College. I am qualified for this position and want to increase class sections.”

Each of the candidates was given an individual color to help identify and represent them during the campaign process. Although they are given variety of sources and ways to campaign, such as Facebook, email, and in person, the candidates cannot by any means campaign in the voting area, unless they are 25 ft. away from the polling area.

The polling areas that are allowed for voting are food courts, Social Science patio, and Health Science patio for those running for president. The people running for student trustees’ polling area will be in the Falcon Square.

In order for students to be eligible to vote, a Cerritos college photo I.D. is required and must be shown at the polling stand with a valid Spring 2014 sticker.

Lance Makinano, student trustee candidate, said, “I like to talk to people so that is how I will advertise myself for student trustee. Facebook will also help but in person is more effective so people can be informed.”

The dates for elections will be April 16 and 17, and for the run-offs it will be April 23 and 24. The times available for voting begin from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Katherine Grijalva
Katherine Grijalva, Arts Editor
Hello, my name is Katherine. Just a 21 year old gal who happens to be the Arts Editor this semester. Former Opinion Copy Editor. I am majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations. Aside from writing I enjoy attending concerts, Disneyland trips, eating, shopping, and surfing the web and find out the latest news.