ISA went ‘global’ during Diversity Week

Diversity Week continued throughout the rest of last week with Global Village on Wednesday, April 23 and free sandwiches given out on Thursday, April 24.

Global Village was a day where different clubs at Cerritos College represented a certain foreign country. A total of 23 clubs were scheduled to have a booth, but not all of them attended.

Each club gave information to students about the country it represented and also sold products from that country. The Child Development Club for example sold fruit, while the Kabarkada Club demonstrated a dance from the Philippines and taught some students on how to count from one through 10 in Philippine.

Students were fond of what Operation Outreach, Go-Green committee and the International Students Associations (ISA) put together for Global Village.

Jason Villa, applied mathematics major, said, “It’s pretty good; people learning about cultures they never heard before or don’t bother to learn about.”

Kertrudes Martinez, an undecided major, said, “I think it’s great, students can come and ask questions about the products and the country.”

Enani Acosta, a member of the Kabarkada Club, said that the dance is called a Tinikling Dance. “It basically represents one of the birds of the Philippines because they are known for tiptoeing, so this is kind of representing what they do.”

Acosta also went to say that students enjoyed it and found it interesting. He also said that some students from the crowd also tried performing the dance.

On Thursday, Operation Outreach and the Go-Green committee gave out free sandwiches to students who presented their school ID cards.

They gave out veggie and turkey sandwiches, reusable plastic cups and reusable sandwich containers.

Many students enjoyed the free food and thought that what the two committees were doing was great.

Joey Cuevas, biology major, said, “I think it’s pretty good, I think students should have an opportunity like this to just hang out because it brings students together.”

Andreana Salazar, anthropology major said, “I think it’s great, I always get my ID sticker and I never know what the things mean and I never see any of this cool stuff, so yea it’s great on a hot day.”

Charlie Zuniga, a member of the Go-Green committee said that this final day of Diversity Week was just a day to celebrate students by giving them free food and other items.

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23