A food drive, job fair and Zombie Fest discussed by ICC

A food drive for students in need, a fall job fair  and Zombie Fest, were some of topics brought up for this month’s ICC meeting.

The Inter Club Council (ICC) meeting took place on Thursday, Sept. 25, in BK 111 and BK 112.

Every last Thursday of the month the ICC meeting takes place and one member of every club shows up to get information on upcoming events and get information on how to do fundraisers to make money as a club.

One of the focuses is a food drive that will start on Wednesday, Oct. 1. The food is for students that can’t afford any food and are in need.

Suleyma Castillo, commissioner of ICC, said, “There were students who were referred by professors or by counselors because sometimes the student starts talking to professors and counselors and they become comfortable with them and trusted them with their situation.”

The food bank started about two years ago, since the Health Student Services were getting students asking for help.

“From what I was told, there are times where no one shows up and there are times where in a week (the food bank) get(s) about six students.” Castillo said.

Students can make donations of canned foods at the ASCC office, located next to the bookstore.

All clubs are also encouraged to participate and donate and to make sure that if their club does donate, to get signed off by an ASCC representative. The food drive will end on the day of Zombie Fest on Thursday, Oct. 30.

There will be different events taking place for this year’s Zombie Fest.

One of the events is a pumpkin carving contest, which will focus on which pumpkin is the funniest, scariest and most creative.

The costume contest will have a scariest, most original and best group category.

This year, the Zombie Fest committee is trying to do something different, it’s trying to make a day event and a night event, that way students that come at night to school could get a piece of the fun.

ICC clerk, Janet Parga, said that the committee has different ideas, but it’s not for certain.

“Maybe doing like a maze outside, like around six or 7 p.m., and then have students go through it.”

This is an individual and club contest, the application is due by Thursday, Oct. 23, by 3 p.m. in the ASCC office.

For everyone that is looking for a job, there will be a job fair taking place on Falcon Square on Tuesday, Oct. 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Jiffy Lube, FedEx Ground, the Los Angeles Police Department and Chipotle Mexican Grill will be among the variety of employers on campus to offer jobs for those in need.

For more information on campus events, you may stop by the ASCC office or you may go on the ICC Facebook page.

The next ICC meeting will take place on Thursday, Oct. 30, at 11 a.m. in BK 111.

Gildardo Aquino
Gildardo Aquino, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Hello, I’m Gildardo Aquino Jr. also known as DJ DEMO. I am a Broadcast media major. This is my 3rd semester with Talon Marks and every semester I learn something different with the brand that helps me better my craft in radio, journalism and communicating with the real world. My passion is music and entertaining you guys! I am an On-Air mixer on 93.5 KDAY (Los Angeles, CA) every Saturday night from Midnight – 2 a.m. So tune in! Other than that I am a fun person to be with and I love to help others and enjoy life to the fullest! If you see me around say “Hello” and follow me on social media @djdemo99