Rough start to a week of float building

Some clubs did not immediately begin their float building due to the unavailability of the money needed and lack of members attending. They will be working on their floats until the Homecoming game.
Luis Guzman

Clubs gathered at the Field House in the wet and muddy grass to begin their Homecoming tradition of float building in preparation for the end of the week Homecoming celebration.

Float building started on Monday, Oct. 13, with a scattering of floats all centered around the theme “Around the World.” About 20 clubs are expected to create a float, with some in a waitlist in case those clubs do not follow through with their plans

Some clubs were beginning early, placing their float platforms on the grass so that they could begin creating their designs.

The ASCC Cabinet had decided on a theme in their Sept. 22 meeting where clubs chose their country to represent in their float decorations.

Victor Macias, an architecture major and a member of the Architecture Club, was there to help set-up for the club’s float, but encountered some obstacles.

“We can’t start today because we didn’t get the float check money and I don’t know when we’re going to get that.”

Macias said that each club gets up to $400 to make a float.

“Several clubs got their money; there’s other ones that didn’t. They’re still waiting on the check.”

He said that the club is planning to make building replicas up to 11-feet high with foam, wood and lumber.

“We’re the Architecture Club, so we want to represent the United Arab Emirates or Dubai.”

He said that the buildings of these countries are the future in architecture and the best architecture in the world.

Enrique Hernandez, a civil engineering major and ICC representative, said that there was confusion last week, and with the planning of the float building in general.

He said that clubs can go to the Activities Center to pick up their checks for the floats.

This is not Hernandez’s first time helping out with float building. He believes the long float-building hours this week are important.

“I think it’s really essential because this really takes a lot of work. The more time we have the better, I guess,” he said.

Hernandez said that, to him, the first day seemed slow and that he hopes that the next few days are more productive.

The entire ASCC Calendar of student activities can be seen here: http://cms.cerritos.edu/uploads/Activities/Calendar/ASCC_Calendar_2014-2015.pdf

Maria Lopez, Online Editor
Fall 2014 Being Online Editor has it’s moments. Maria Lopez, solemnly swears that she's up to do good. This is her third semester at Talon Marks and second as Online Editor. She enjoys the job because it’s fun, challenging, and a way to let others know what’s going on around campus. In her spare time she loves to read books, volunteer in her community, visit the local library, listen to music, and watch myriad television shows and documentaries. Her hope in life is to get visited by a doctor in a blue box. Feel free to contact Maria in these formats: Follow on Twitter @mlopeztweets Email at [email protected]
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.