Wife of late Bukowiecki issues ‘thank you’ statement

Cathy Bukowiecki said she would like to give a “thank you” to those who attended Police Chief Richard Bukowiecki’s memorial last September.

Cathy, wife of the late chief of police, wanted to extend gratitude to those who helped orchestrate the entire event that occurred at the Student Center on Sept. 13.

“I want to be able to thank everyone who came,” she said. “People took a day out of their Saturday to come.”

The event had those familiar with Richard’s work go up on stage and speak about him as a person and all his accomplishments throughout his career.

“I can never thank them (the people) enough. It was beautiful.”

She said that the event was done at no expense of the family and that her nephew Josh Bukowiecki helped put it together, as well.

Cathy expressed gratitude to many people, including President Linda Lacy, Cheryl Thury, Denise Marshall and Toni Grijalva.

The former chief of police was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Super 8 Motel by Westminster police on Aug. 18.

Cathy was just as confused as everyone else when the news broke.

“The whole thing is a shock. I don’t understand it. I have no idea. He was a very proud man and I don’t understand why he did this.”

She mentioned how he was a good husband and he always fought for the students.

“My husband loved his job. He did a lot for the college. He fought for years to keep students safe.”

Since the incident, she mentioned not functioning quite well.

“I can’t function well; my sleep is off. The whole thing is a fog.”

Cathy and Richard were married for 20 years. They both started working the same year at Cerritos College, according to Cathy (1988) and met there on campus. She used to work as a custodian for 14 years.

She lives in Colorado. She “goes back and forth” from there and California.

Cathy mentioned how Richard loved his “grandbabies.” When the two met, she already had five children; the youngest being two years old.

And now, some of them are following in his footsteps.

“Three of my (sons) are following in his footsteps; they are going to the (police) academy.”

Despite all that has transpired, she will remember the memorial fondly.

“It was so wonderful,” she said. “People came out from the college and I’m so appreciative.”

Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).