Safe Zone promotes diversity in students

As time goes on, people grow in multiple ways, one of which has been in the course of diversity.

Here at Cerritos College, the ASCC is pushing for safety and comfort for those in that field of diversity, particularly in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community.

A program which received its funding on Oct. 29, Safe Zone is a training procedure for faculty, staff and students when it comes to taking in the diversity of the LGBT community here on the Cerritos College campus.

“The purpose of the Safe Zone training is to show students the history and the power of words and to help students learn about what the LGBT community is about,” Aldemar Sanchez, senate pro-temp, said.

“It’s really good because our student government is promoting student diversity and it’s something that the school is really proud of doing; being able to show our student leaders diversity and the LGBT community, a huge part of the population on campus.

“This would be a great opportunity for our leaders to have.”

As stated, it’s about the promotion of diversity. According to Vice President Charles Caguioa, it’s about both ethnicity and sexual orientation.

“I think it’s great,” he said. “It’s going to be a good opportunity, especially for a big diverse campus that we have. It’s definitely branching out more than what we have in terms of just ethnicity, but also what we have in terms of sexual orientation, and in terms of the LGBT community. And so having that kind of training will really branch out our awareness and will really build us more as a community here at Cerritos.”

Safe Zone will provide a place of security for students who might feel like outcasts.

Amna Jara, coordinator of student activities, said, “It will be continuous training for faculty and staff members to have a Safe Zone sticker put on their door so they’re easily identified by students; to be a person that students can go talk to and not be judged.”

Julien Galvan
Julien Galvan, Staff Writer
This is my second semester at Cerritos college. I'm planning on majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Music. I play 5 musical instruments including Guitar, Bass, Drums, Trumpet, Piano. I'm a huge gamer and video game and comic book nerd, and I love to read mystery novels.