Financial Aid office holds Awareness Fair

Wednesday Feb. 18 Financial Aid Awareness fair. Students learn about types of financial aid offered at Cerritos College and play games to win prizes. Photo credit: Michael Garcia

The Financial Aid Office held a Financial Aid Awareness Fair Wednesday, Feb. 18 informing students of the offers available for financial aid as well as workshops available for students that require assistance.

The fair started at 4 p.m. and was held just past Falcon Square along the path by the Burnight Center lawn.

Ulysses Valencia explained this fair was more for the students that come during the night and that there will be another fair Monday, Feb. 23 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. this time informing day-time students.

There were multiple games to teach students about financial aid opportunities.

After completing four games students were treated to nachos, cookies, water, and coffee.

There was also a prize wheel for participating students.

Various prizes include flash drives, Cerritos College bag, a Cerritos College sweater and a notebook.

This offered students a fun way for them to learn about all the opportunities that they might not realize are there.

Staff asked participants if they had completed their Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Saturday workshops are available for students that would like help completing the FAFSA and applying for grants and scholarships.

The next workshop will be held Saturday, Feb. 21 at 9 a.m. at the Administration building. Staff are available until noon to provide students with one-one-one assistance.

Information was also available regarding EOPS. To be eligible, students must be full-time (12 or more units) and have completed no more than 40 units. Students in EOPS have access to priority registration, counseling and tutoring. More information on signing up for EOPS can be found at the Cerritos EOPS site.

Jenny Mejia, financial aid technician, explained that the fair was there to bring awareness, and to inform and empower students.

“We make it a little bit easier. We give you the tools that you need so you can apply, see what you’re eligible for, educate you on how to use your money.

Students, once they come in and hear that… they’re more knowledgeable, they’re more self aware of what they need to do, and they’re more empowered of their education,” Mejia said.

Apart from federal and state issued financial aid, scholarships are also available for students. Students can apply for a wide variety of scholarships on the General Scholarship Application online. The deadline to apply for these scholarships is February 23.

Michael Garcia
Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.