School searches for new president

The Cerritos College Board of Trustees has finished its nationwide search and has selected five candidates to run for the President/Superintendent position that will open when current President Dr. Linda L. Lacy retires this summer.

The five candidates will be visiting and taking a tour of the campus for a half-day and will be holding forum March 10 to 12 at the TeleConference Center (LC 155), which is located to the right of the library when entering from Falcon Square.

The forums will be open to the public and members of the community are encouraged to come.

In April and May the board will visit the home school of the two final candidates.

Lacy’s contract will end on June 30 and the new president is expected to take position on July 1.

Miya A. Walker, director of college relations and public affairs, was able to shed some light on how the process for selecting candidates is made.

“The Board of Trustees goes through a very extensive process. The board holds the ultimate decision on selecting the president.”

The search began after Dr. Lacy announced her retirement.

Updates on the search were discussed during the board meetings held on Wednesdays.

A presidential search committee was established and consisted of board members, the vice president, faculty, the student trustee and the ASCC president among others.

Dr. Eva Conrad, of the community college search services, went over how the selection process is made and on how the board has been going over the selection process.

“It’s a tough decision, all of the candidates are accomplished and qualified. The board is really concerned about making its decision.”

The President serves as the chief executive officer with responsibility toward the Board of Trustees. The board is in charge of planning, funding and fundraising for the college.

For more information on the Presidential search and the candidates visit http://cms.cerritos.edu/board/presidential-search-2014/

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.