The first step for a ‘healthier tomorrow’

Vanessa Martinez [Left], Ralph Casas [Center] and Wilfrido Hernandez [Right] cut the ribbon Thursday, March 5 to announce the opening of the community garden. The garden is located next to the Student Health and Wellness Center and is sponsored by the Students United for a Healthier Tomorrow Club and the Enviornmental Club Photo credit: Sebastian Echeverry

The Environmental Club and the Students United for a Healthier Tomorrow Club joined forces to sustain the new student food garden located next to the Student Health and Wellness Center after they cut the ribbon Thursday, March 5.

Founder of the SUHT Club Wilfrido Hernandez cut the ribbon, announcing the opening of the garden.

He said, “Ron Finely is like one of my biggest heroes, so he inspired that. He does a lot of gardening for underserved communities and I felt like Cerritos College needed a garden.”

According to Hernandez, from a health aspect he believes that people should be provided with the healthiest choice of foods.

“I felt like students weren’t being provided with the best types of foods; [you’ve] got Taco Bell, Frantone’s Pizza, and not to bash on them, because they probably bring a lot of food for the students, but I just felt like this could later on be a partnership with the Culinary Arts division and we would provide them with clean organic produce,” he said.

Dr. Ralph Casas helped start the idea of a community garden after Hernandez went through his Health and Occupations 100 course.

“The Community Garden is sponsored-owned by the SUHT Club,” Hernandez said. “It’s co-founded by me and Dr. Casas, I met him through the farm technology program here at Cerritos College.”

Casas said that the idea came about after discussing the obesity and early death from diabetes in the area.

He said, “People in this community [have] access to unhealthy foods, so the idea started in 2012, but we didn’t get the project going until 2014. That was when we got permission to use this garden area.”

President of the Environmental Club Vanessa Martinez held the ribbon that was cut by Hernandez to mark a partnership with the SUHT Club.

She said, “We are uniting for the garden. Eventually we would like to expand it to the grounds located in between the pool and baseball field.”

Sebastian Echeverry
Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5