Food Project fair hosted in Student Center

Hazel Ng [left] and Pamela Rodriguez [right] quizzed students depending on where the spinner landed. Photo credit: Gustavo Lopez

Students in the Student Center were treated to statistics on their favorite foods and were shown foods trends in other parts of the world on March 5.

Registered Dietitian Hazel Ng was behind a booth which showed the amount of fats in foods.

Small yellow cubes were placed next to food models as a visual representation of the amounts of fat in foods such as pizza, pancakes, tortilla chips, a glass of milk and a small piece of a pork chop.

Lisette Alcala, business major, attended the fair.

She said, “Seeing how much fat that we take in our [food], not in a book but seeing it with the displays, makes you realize how much fat we take in a day or in a week. Now I’ll think twice about eating cookies or ice cream.”

The Student Health Center will have its display out once again on March 31 at Falcon Square starting at 10 a.m.

One of the booths in the fair showed how eating patterns in America have changed since the 50s.

Counseling professor Jan Connal stated, “We like these foods, but are they really good for us? These changes are why this country has a problem with obesity”

The graphs also showed how different foods that students eat effect their ability to perform well in college.

College students are often busy and not get to eat the healthiest meals and foods that are vital for a healthy diet.

The booth was put together by Connal’s counseling 200 class and math 60 class as a collaborative project.

English Professor Lyndsey Lefebvre held a booth showing animals that are consumed in other parts of the world.

Folders showed animals like guinea pigs, salamanders and whales that are being consumed from different countries like Peru and China.

“We’re living in a global world and it’s a bigger question than health. It depends on what you mean by morality and right and wrong.”

She explained that there’s a delicacy called foie gras. It is a liver from a duck that has been force fed and has had it’s liver swollen.

Lefebvre explained that someone eating guinea pig would be looked down on while another eating foie gras there would be no problem.

Foie gras was banned for consuming in California in 2012, but the ban was recently overturned Jan. 7.

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.