Math Club fundraises for SUCASA

Club members Dedrick Ruiz, Alexandra Newport, and nursing major Athena Sanchez. In the first day of fundraising for the SUCASA organization. Photo credit: Perla Lara

The Math Club will be collecting books in the walkway between the library entrance and the Financial Aid building from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m from Monday, March 9 to Thursday, March 12.

According to the website, SUCASA is a nonprofit community-based organization dedicated to the philosophy that every individual has the right to live free from violence or the threat of violence.

The organization provides support to women and children who have been victims of domestic violence.

For the past 35 years the SUCASA has provided important services for the community.

They offer a 24 hour hotline that ‘provides crisis intervention, information and support to each person who calls.’

The Math Club has been paired with the organization for a few years and is committed to helping the organization raise funds.

Members of the Math Club have donated their time in order to collect books and sell candy to collect funds for the organization.

Neuroscience major and Math Club member, Dedrick Ruiz donates his time “ to be more involved with the club.”

Fellow Math Club member Alexandra Newport said, “I volunteer because I like the cause.”

ICC Rep for the Math Club Peter Bouris said that the book drive is only part one of their efforts to raise funds for the SUCASA organization.

In this phase they ask for Cerritos Students unwanted books.

“Any book that is still in a good condition that someone else might want, coloring books that are not completely done yet, what people can bring we will accept,” he said.

Candy soda and water where also being sold for $1 each in order to help the club raise funds.

Part two of the Math Club’s efforts to raise funds will take place after spring break the exact date is yet to be determined.

The club will stet up a table with all of the donated books and will sell them for whatever amount of money students wish to donate.

The books will be more of a token of appreciation for the monetary donation that is being made.

The Math Club wants to achieve the goal of raising 1,000 dollars for the SUCASA organization.

Those that are in an abusive relationship or care about someone who is can call (562) 402-4888.

The organization also offers shelter, emergency food, clothes, as well as counseling, legal advocacy, case management, and other important services.

SUCASA link: http://www.sucasadv.org/

Perla Lara
Perla Lara, Managing Editor
I am a journalism student with a love of photography which makes me a photojournalist at heart. My objective is to write about people and the stories they create. I also believe that photography and journalism are great ways to document history and to connect with other people throughout space and time. My goal is to take photographs, and write stories that make an impact in peoples lives.