Project Safe offers counseling to victims of sex crimes

ASCC President Miles Aiello taking quorum call at the beginning of Monday’s meet Photo credit: Michael Garcia

ASCC Cabinet were informed that counselors are available to victims of sex crimes on and off campus and upcoming campus events and enforcement of rules for the Student Center were also discussed, on Monday, March 23 in BK 111.

The Student Health Center promoted Project Safe which offers counseling to victims of dating and domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking.

Hillary Mennella, Interim Associate Dean for Student Health and Awareness, stressed that education and awareness are the keys to prevent these types of crimes.

Menella said, “Dating and domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking can overlap one another and Project Safe provides definitions of each type of crime to help students understand what constitutes a crime.”

The counseling sessions are confidential unless the patient is under 18 years old, in which case the counselor must report the crime.

Chief of Police Tom Gallivan reiterated that the campus has a full-service police department and encourages victims to report crimes.

Cabinet went over student conduct that should be followed in the Student Center and what can be done to ensure a pleasant experience to students who wish to use it.

The Student Center is not exempt from the Cerritos College code of conduct. Tables in the Student center used to have a set of rules promptly displayed that students must follow.

Gambling is prohibited in the center and students should refrain from rude behavior such as placing their feet on the furniture.

Commissioner of Student Services Illene Ochoa had some suggestions and led a discussion on how to enforce the rules in the Student Center. Suggestions included having campus police in the Student Center, posting a large display with rules on the walls, having a desk placed for an authority figure to keep watch and placing cameras in the student center.

While some ideas were not too popular with all members of Cabinet, the agenda item was extended and will be further discussed on next week’s meeting on Monday, April 30.

Diversity week will see Art Diversity Day on April 23 in Falcon Square. Faculty, students and alumni are all invited to participate in showcasing their work in the departments of forensic speech, music, art and design and photography.

Commissioner of Convocation and Fine Arts Hope Garcia advocated for students to participate.

“We would like any inspiring artists to attend the event. We want to show the diversity of the school and have the platform for all of the arts available.”

For more information on participating in Art Diversity Day you can contact Hope Garcia at [email protected].

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.