Public debate and forum held for ASCC running candidates

Candidates answered questions regarding stipends for student-government positions, transparency in the workplace and improving student-government relationships in the fourth annual Student Trustee and Presidential Debate. Photo credit: Armando Jacobo

Candidates answered questions regarding stipends for student-government positions, transparency in the workplace and improving student-government relationships in the fourth annual Student Trustee and Presidential Debate.

Elections will be held on Wednesday, April 8 and 9 in the voting booth located on the patio near the Social Science building and food court and the health student walkway.

The public forum was held on the amphitheater stage on the hill located in front of the Burnight Center on Monday, March 30.

Associated Students of Cerritos College presidential candidates were:

• Commissioner of Convocation and Fine Arts Hope Garcia
  • Associate Justice Eduardo De La Rosa

Garcia preached transparency in her statements, letting students and faculty know that as a potential president she plans to be as straight-forward in her duties, an issue that has seemed to arise recently with the newly implemented student-affairs positions.

Advocating for the paid positions to be allocated to the president and vice-president, Garcia has no issues if the presidential position does not include a wage.

“People know me very well. I have a tendency not to lie. It doesn’t matter if you’re faculty or students. It doesn’t matter who you are. When people think of politicians or they think of politics in nature, a lot of people stretch the truth and I feel that in student government in general a lot of people want to go around and not be completely transparent like you’re supposed to be and that’s been an issue these past few months,” Garcia said.

De La Rosa focused on expanding on the improvements already being made on campus, while emphasizing better resources toward night-time students and the crime occurring throughout poorly lit areas.

“I want to find a way to leave our imprint on the campus and show the campus that there are more things that need to be done. I believe we should be improving upon our improvements. I want to be able to contribute positive change,”

He added, “My wife comes here at night; I really want to expand the availability of resources for night students. You shouldn’t be limited by the availability of a counselor, they shouldn’t be limited in the hours we currently have in our library. Our night-time students shouldn’t have to resort to waiting in these outdoor areas where they’re poorly lit and potentially vulnerable and exposed to the elements.”

Along with their respective running mates vice-presidential candidates: Senator/Party Whip Athena Sanchez and Senator Ivan Oyarzabal.

Student trustees candidates: Senator/ Faculty Senate Liaison Victor Villalobos, Commissioner of Student Outreach Sana Khalid and Commissioner of the Inter-Club Council Sulyema Castillo, discussed the marketing of information for underlying resources that students may not be taking advantage of as well as the concern over inflated textbook prices offered at the Cerritos Bookstore.

Armando Jacobo
Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.