ASCC Presidential Run Down to the Wire

Both ASCC President and Vice President candidates where in Falcon Square on Wednesday, April 8, enticing commuting students to vote for them. Voting continued throughout Thursday as well.

Presidential candidate Eduardo De La Rosa said he would like to increase the amount of safety on campus.

He thinks there should be cameras at school to help detract crime and would like to see the Student Center and library have longer hours to help students, especially night-time students.

“This is the home I’ve chosen for myself. These students are the family that I’ve chosen for myself…These are the people I want to serve,” De La Rosa said.

He said that having cameras on campus would help deter crime by having potential criminals second guess whether they want to try anything at Cerritos College.

Running as De La Rosa’s running mate is Ivan Oyarzabal.

Oyarzabal wants to abide by what the student constituency wants.

He is strong believer in students taking initiative and to change some of the attitudes that professors may have towards students.

“It is up to us to change that cultural attitude that professors have about students. We’re not kids. We are professionals in the making,” Oyarzabal said.

He also said that even if he doesn’t become vice president he will continue to aid students with legislation in the senate.

Presidential candidate Hope Garcia is running for change and wants to help see students be successful.

She also hopes to bring safety, a freshman orientation, improvements to the Wi-Fi issue and mental health.

“I look at the idea of getting the students to change from within and helping them adapt the ideas of becoming great adults so they can achieve their goals, become entrepreneurs and overall make it into 4-year colleges.”

Athena Sanchez, Party Whip in student government, is running for vice president alongside Hope Garcia.

“You have to have both a sound body and sound mind to be successful… We’re working on having peer counseling here at ASCC because some students don’t like to talk to instructors… they just need somebody to go to.”

She said that many students are unaware of some of the resources available to them such as the free tutoring and the food bank available on campus.

Michael Garcia
Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.