Campus embraces Earth Day

Earth Day was written all over the concrete in chalk, which led students to club booths.

Cerritos celebrated Earth Day at Falcon Square on Wednesday, April 22.

Students were encouraged to recycle their plastic bottles into a blue recycling bin. Once a student donated four plastic bottles, ASCC members handed out reusable Cerritos College cups.

Members from the Anthropology and Environmental Club got together to show their concern about how our environment is being treated. Posters held information on how to take care of animals, plants and how to recycle, reduce and reuse.

Anthropology Club members provided students with iPads to take a quiz about their transportation and diet to see how many planets it would take for everyone to live like them.

Students became aware of how much their diet affects the environment and how it would change by reducing meat intake and choosing healthier alternatives like vegetarian foods.

Abby Barrios, member of the Anthropology Club said, “The biggest way you can impact our environment is diet, so we brought plants to promote growing your own food and [reducing] agriculture.”

The Environmental Club addressed how harmful plastic is to our environment. Club memebers were covered in plastic bags demonstrating how unclean it makes our earth. They also informed on how much your diet can help the environment.

Megan Sandoval, Environmental Club memeber said, “People can help change the environment by changing their diet. We’re just asking people to reduce their intake on meat, and make healthy choices like vegetarian foods.”

The Go Green committee had a game booth. Students were able to throw a ball into a recycleable bottle. The game had informative facts regarding replaceable bulbs, and recycling plastic bottles.

Miles Aiello, ASCC president said, “The Go Green committee tries to advocate and get students involved in the recycling program. We are very well versed with sustainability, we wish to incorporate more events that have to do with green technology.”

Briana Velarde, Online Editor
Just a journalist in the making. You can call me Bree.  This is my last semester on the newspaper but like everyone else I started as a staff writer. I have also been Social Media, Multimedia, and Arts & Entertainment editor. Currently pursuing a career in journalism. Music, entertainment, and visual stories are my passion. How much time do I spend in the newsroom? All day. Well maybe not all day because I work at a theater and sweep popcorn for a living, but hey these bills aren't going to pay themselves. My ultimate goal to become a digital content producer for a radio station. If all else fails catch me designing for a magazine like Complex or Fader. Since my life revolves online, therefore I am your current Online Editor. Excited to be able to share my content on the online and print version of Talon Marks, read all about it!