The first ever art walk on campus takes place

Students walked up to the art walk to check out the art done by both students and outside artists. Jasmin Galicia, left, was drawn in due to also being an art major. Photo credit: Lauren Torres

The first ever Art Walk took place since the days of 1955 when the college was first established.

The art walk, put together by students Hope Garcia and Brian Temporary, took place in Falcon Square on Thursday, April 23 from 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

The event was set up under tents for students to freely walk up to for a closer look.

Some of the artists were also present if anyone had questions about the pieces or prices.

Temporary, a fine art major, said, “We got artists from off-campus to sell and display work, and also students, to engage and show work alongside Hope and myself, people that create work and normally share their work in galleries.”

There were four off-campus artists out of the 10 on display at the art walk.

Temporary added that the fact that the arts are not big on campus and is exactly why this event needed to happen.

“Hope and I had the idea because the arts aren’t really spread out on campus, we’re kind of secluded in the corner,” he said.

Temporary added, “So we decided ‘why not do an art walk and bring together artists and students who normally don’t know how the arts work and how the community works, so they could get a feel of the community in arts?’”

It took about two months of planning for the event to come together.

Eric Schmidt, an off-campus artist, attended the event and had his work on display.

“I’m here to put my art out for the people to see, see what they feel about the messages that I have on my artwork. Being that I’m a graffiti artist I have to change it up, find something they can relate to, maybe a message, maybe something they’d like to say but they’d rather not.”

Schmidt’s art, a large leap from graffiti, features popular sayings, like ‘Don’t bring the BS’ and ‘Live, Laugh and Love’, painted on canvas.

“I couldn’t picture anyone wanting to put my street name on their walls, so I thought I could use my name, get creative, and put it to a canvas and I could see it on somebody’s wall […] people have seen my canvas and told me it’s something they could relate to.”

Other tables featured works by various artists ranging from large paintings to hand made jewelry and trinkets.

Jasmine Galicia, a photography and art major, was one of the students who attended the event after noticing it while walking across campus.

She said, “I think the art is very great and interesting. I’ve been into art and drawing since I was little. I’m thinking of taking a painting class, it’s pretty awesome, it’s very relaxing.”

Temporary had his own art on display as well, a piece he made that had been previously shown in a Los Angeles gallery as part of a show he curated with other artists.

“[It’s] to create more interactions and connections for art students,” Temporary added, “especially when they start going off to private schools, it helps a lot.”

Lauren Torres, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 My name is Lauren, i'm twenty-seven, and I love to write. My short term goals are to get my Bachelors Degree in Journalism so i can travel the world for free as a travel writer and to finish the novel i've been working on. I also love to paint and work with inks and ink washes mostly. Fiction books and comic books are my favorite things to read. In my free time i try to watch new movies and shows, generally be outside and in nature or exploring a new area, and cooking, even though i'm not terribly good at it. I'm a vegetarian with hopes of becoming a vegan if i can get over my love of cheese. I love animals, i have two chinchilla's, a dachshund, and a tortoise.