Father calls out athletic counseling

Tomas made a public comment during a board of trustees meeting that took place Wednesday, March 18 in which he accused the athletic counseling department of misguiding his daughter for transferring information.

Tomas Requejo, the father of women’s soccer player Nayeli Reqeujo, was not content with the information given to his daughter by the athletic counseling department at Cerritos College.

Tomas made a public comment during the board of trustees meeting that took place Wednesday, March 18, in which he accused the athletic counseling department of misguiding his daughter on transferring information.

Tomas visited Cerritos College to try to figure out why his daughter had to make an appointment solely with the athletic counselors and not the academic counselors.

He said, “The [academic counselors] are not trained with CCCAA regulations.”

According to Tomas, the information given to Nayeli was not accurate to her schooling schedule.

He said, “The information wasn’t good. They told her she needed to take 20 more units, but she had already taken them last semester.”

Nayeli said she wanted to have Gloria Morales look at her schedule and help her with her classes because she believed Morales knew the UC system well and Nayeli’s plan was to go to UCLA.

She said, “I had her number so I texted her, ‘Hey could I meet up with you whatever day?’ and she said, ‘Yeah of course’ she’ll help me out.”

After that conversation, Nayeli said she went to meet with Morales.

“I went in to talk to her. She told me that technically she wasn’t allowed to talk to me because she’s not an athletic counselor, she’s only academic,” she said.

It was at that moment when Tomas came to campus to talk about the situation with the counseling department.

Dean of Counseling Rene De Long Chomiak said, “Because of privacy laws, I can’t discuss the details about this student issue publicly. But, I will say that I do take this matter very seriously. My counseling staff and I serve all students with care and attention regardless of their background.”

Sebastian Echeverry
Sebastian Echeverry, Editor in Chief
Hello all, my name is Sebastian Echeverry and I am the Editor-in-Chief for the fall 2015 semester. I have been working for the newspaper for four semesters now and slowly climbed the ranks from staff writer, to assistant sports editor, to sports editor, news/managing editor and finally the big cheese. My interest in journalism began when the twin towers fell on September 11 and the U.S. invaded Iraq. Global news coverage of airstrikes in Baghdad plagued the media and my father who served in the Colombian military would sit with me and explain what was going on to me. I was only eight years old at the time, so putting politics aside, I was only interested in how reporters on the front lines were seeing history unfold in front of them. Since then, I enjoyed reading and writing especially about global news. My first taste of research was for a high school paper about the militias still active in the U.S. I remember sipping some brew outside on the Coffee Bean's patio and being swallowed up by data, and liking it. I Currently have a part time job at Calvin Klein, my favorite sport is soccer and I love, Barcelona, Chelsea and Borussia Dortmund. I also enjoy watching hockey and my favorite team there is the Detroit Red Wings, yeah weird I know. I'm an easy person to approach and talk to and if you have story ideas let's get cracking on them! my email is: [email protected] My Twitter is: C_bass581141 My Instagram is: onlyc_bass5 and for giggles my snapchat is: onlyc_bass5