Fancy Fine Arts

Fine arts are getting even finer at Cerritos College. With a new state of the art $45 million building to be unveiled January 2018.

Director of Physical Plants and Construction Services, David Moore states that upon completion this will simply be a “beautiful building.”

Construction started on the building last semester.

“Well we started last summer with some preliminary site work, the meat and bones construction started last semester, ” Moore explained.

One of the many active site managers Dave Sherman’s metaphor somewhat coincides with Moore’s analogy. Sherman states the wall templates that are up now form as the “bread” and the concrete once filled in will act as the “meat.” Hence creating the proverbial “sandwich.”

This particular project is still a far way from being occupied, as the foundation of the building just seems to be coming together.

With the Child Development Center being completed in just about 6 months, Moore answered the idea of whether the Fine Arts Building was a tougher task since it will take roughly three-four years to complete.

“They’re all complex projects. The fine arts and sciences and math buildings are two buildings at once. They’re both significant buildings. However, the Child Development Centers was a smaller project. I mean you’re talking $45 million versus $6 million,” Moore revealed.

With the notion of the new building not standing tall until early 2018, the future students of Cerritos College can expect some major improvements.

“Have you been in the old Fine Arts Building?” Moore said with a smile.

“The one that is functioning now is over 50 years old. The new one will have modern technology, state of the art classrooms, it’s going to be energy efficient,” Moore listed as some of the major improvements.

According to Moore, construction has been going according to planned as well.

“Its been pretty smooth. We haven’t run into any delays aside from us having to wait to tear down the tech building. So we had to get the people vacated out of the tech building,” Moore added.

Despite the one set back Moore reassures that no changes will be made to the blueprint of the original building.

“Once you are finished with your construction drawings that should be the building you get. We don’t anticipate any changes at all,” Moore said.

Moore and company have an elaborate plan in regards to building plans for Cerritos College.

Recently the state has stopped funding the production of new buildings according to Moore, that is ultimately the hold up on the future buildings on the Cerritos campus.

Sherman said, “This is kind of new, every 10 to 15 years they get better construction.”

The original construction plan called for construction between 2006-2022 with Business Education being the last building to be renovated.

Moore assures us that this is still the goal.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!