New Welcome Center guides students throughout college

Grester Celis-Acosta
The Welcome Center opened over the summer. It is located in the administration building next to staff lounge. Photo credit: Grester Celis-Acosta

It’s not your personal chaperone, it’s a whole building!

The Welcome Center is a new office that opened over the summer to help students have an easy transition into college life and to help them find the different resources on campus.

The Welcome Center is located in the Administration Building close by the staff lounge.

It is open Monday through Friday with scheduled times being: Monday and Wednesday 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Now that the fall semester has started the new center has gone into effect and so far it has helped several students.

“First day of school I saw 216 students in here,” Pamela Chambers, program assistant at the Welcome Center said. “Tuesday I saw 33 students and then [Wednesday] I saw 42 students.”

According to Chambers, students have liked the Welcome Center because it is a one-stop place to get any information regarding the campus instead of having students trying to find various places on their own.

“I transferred from Long Beach City. I went there for two years and I hated it. I’ve been here, I just enrolled maybe like two weeks ago because Long Beach City is always so slow and this [Welcome Center] has been so helpful,” Rushell Lathom, liberal studies major said.

Lathom also added that she liked the fact that it’s called the Welcome Center because the name speaks for itself.

Former Cerritos College President Linda Lacy is a key player in the creation of the the Welcome Center’s existence.

“It was really the vision of our former President Dr. Lacy,” Sue Parsons, director of teacher training academy and learning communities program said. “This is really part of putting the students first in front of everything.”

She added, “We want students to learn how to be students and a lot of times we need to help them and they just need that person here to be able to connect with.”

She also says that at times they even walk the students to the place he or she needs to go to on campus.

For more information regarding the welcome center and its services call (562) 860-2451 ext. 2608 or visit the Cerritos.edu website.

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23