Update on Accreditation

Cerritos College rests easy. The institution is no longer under accreditation warning status as it addressed all of the problem areas. Photo credit: Karla Enriquez

Cerritos College students can rest assured that the campus is no longer under accreditation warning status.

According to Dr. Joanna Schilling, vice president of Academic Affairs, “Cerritos addressed all our recommendations successfully and our accreditation was fully reaffirmed on June 30, 2015. We are no longer on warning status and the college will now complete our usual midterm report in Spring 2017 [this is a normal part of the process].“

According to the action letter provided to former President Dr. Linda Lacy, which is available online, the commission finds that Cerritos College has addressed the 2014 recommendations.

Therefore the commission took action to remove the warning and reaffirm accreditation.

The midterm report is to be turned in by March 15, 2017.

Details are on the school’s accreditation site.

Furthermore the document dated April 6, 2015 states, “The institution demonstrates that all instructional programs, regardless of location or means of delivery, address and meet the mission of the institution and uphold its integrity.” (Accreditation Standard II.A.1)

The Accreditation team commends the Board of Trustees, President/Superintendent and college community for their efforts to achieve compliance with the standards.

College President/Superintendent Dr. Jose Fierro said, “All the credit goes to Dr. Lacy and her staff,

“In April a team visited the campus and spoke with different constituents to ensure we were in compliance with their instructions. By the time I got here I was sent the certificate of re-accreditation.”

He went on to talk about how the campus improved in the warning areas the team issued; one of which was mapping through courses getting student learning outcomes online.

Frank Mixson served as the SLO coordinator this past academic year.

Together with his team they made it possible to work with several departments to get every course of Cerritos College mapped by teaching faculty how to use a software called Elumen.

Chad Greene is now the new SLO coordinator for the campus this academic year.

In addition, all the degrees and certificate courses outlines that are found on the campus catalog can be found online.

Dr. Fierro added that a team will visit in 2017 and he will do his best to make sure the school is compliant, the campus programs are solid and faculty has the tools they need to teach students.

Trustee Zurich Lewis said, “As a newly elected trustee I only got to be involved in the accreditation process for eight months. Along with six members of our board we had to follow the recommendations of the state accreditation team.”

One of the warnings the accreditation team gave to the campus was that they wanted better working relationship between the president and trustees.

Lewis concluded, “After we met with a smaller team our warning status was removed and we were restored full accreditation. I believe accreditation is a rigorous, but necessary process that ensures community colleges across California provide the best service to its students.”

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese