Chancellor’s office a free online service for students

taken from https://ccc.kognito.c
Screen shot from the ccc.kognito.com website. The Kognito “at risk” training program trains students to recognize signs of mental illness. The program is offered free of charge for community college students.

Kognito is a new program available free of charge for students at risk or who want to know how to help a friend dealing with sensitive issues.

According to Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. JoAnna Schilling, “The training can help students feel less alone if they are struggling in their classes or in their lives and to provide resources for where to go for help.”

She added, “I personally think it is a wonderful program that provides great information in an engaging way.”

Schilling explained how the program came to be, “The program was provided to the community colleges in 2013 by the California Community Colleges Chancellors Office.”

Dr. Hillary Mennella, associate dean of Student Health and Wellness, oversees the Kognito Program.

She explained that Health Services is used to seeing students that are at risk for depression, anxiety, drug abuse, homelessness, suicide and domestic violence on a weekly basis and Kognito is an extra resource for students.

Mennella added that her role is to introduce the campus to the Kogniito program,”Dr. Contreras and I went out in fall and spring to faculty and staff meetings explaining what Kognito is and how this interactive program can help identify students at risk.”

Mennella explained that there are specific modules for Veterans, LGBTQ, and depression.

She gave an example of how Kognito works, “You get scenarios and the program gives you feed back, if you guess wrong, if you’re right, and it progresses. It is a virtual based environment that engages in a series of game based exercises including role playing conversation.”

Academic Counselor Felipe Salazar of the Veterans Resource Center says they tell students about the program including the Together Strong app.

Salazar said, “It is a tool for coping with stress, suicide prevention and much more.”

Salazar also said there is a mental health therapist available Wednesdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. for the veterans.

The hours of the Veterans Resource Center are as follows: Monday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Kognito is online and a free student account can be created.

On the campus web site, there is a description that explains how Kognito helps students, veterans, faculty and staff.

The description states that this may be a helpful tool you can refer a friend you may know who is struggling academically or experiencing emotional distress.

It explains that the program is already in use at over 270 colleges and universities.

There is also a description for how Kognito can help veterans, “In this 30 minute course, you will learn how to manage a class discussion around a veteran-sensitive topic, what resources are available on-campus for student veterans, and how to help a student veteran who is struggling in class.”

The hours for the Student Health Center are as follows: Monday and Tuesday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013