Safety workshop pinpoints sexual abuse

Enrique Rueda, Crystal Barraza, and Hugh Rueda (from left to right) listen to Sgt. Angel Castillo (right) response to Crystal Barraza question. Her question was “Does talking to my mother on the phone while walking to my car at night is a good idea?”
Enrique Rueda, Crystal Barraza, and Hugh Rueda (from left to right) listen to Sgt. Angel Castillo (right) response to Crystal Barraza question. Her question was “Does talking to my mother on the phone while walking to my car at night is a good idea?” TM/Bianca Salgado

Sexual consent and domestic abuse were among the topics discussed at the Affirmative Consent workshop hosted by Dr. Hilary Mannella on Tuesday, Sept. 8.

Cerritos College Police Chief Tom Gallivan said, “We would like the students to know that as students they have resources available and we are here to help.”

Students should be aware that if they are afraid of someone stalking them, while heading to the parking lot, they may call campus police for an escort.

It was also noted that the primary purpose of the workshop was to help teach students what is considered a crime and about the Violence Against Women Act.

Sgt. Angel Castillo expressed the dangers of attacking someone trying to mug you instead of calling for help.

Castillo said, “Property, like phones and electronics, can be replaced; it’s not worth risking your life, unless someone’s life is in danger, do not try to fight.”

Engineering major, Hugh Rueda said,”I feel that I learned helpful information that can help me on and off campus.”

Chemistry major, Enrique Rueda said, “After attending this workshop I have a clear understanding on how to handle certain situations.”

Mennella expressed, “Gallivan and I have had this workshop planned since the summer.”

She added that soon there will be meditation workshops available Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

For an update, on what time the workshops will be held, refer to the Student Health and Wellness Center Homepage.

In addition, Mennella has reserved room S102, for the remainder of the semester, to host the Affirmative Consent workshop, Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

[She] said that new material can be introduced, to the presentation, based on the Q&A sessions at the end of each workshop.

Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Bianca Salgado, Opinion Editor