Students attend the learning styles workshop. The event was held Thursday September 17 2015 at 11a.m to 12p.m
Frank Rodarte

Workshop helps students identify learning style

Students attend the learning styles workshop. The event was held Thursday, Sept. 17 at 11 a.m. to noon.

Community Outreach Director of CASA Youth Shelter Pamela Sepulveda hosted a workshop sponsored by the Re-Entry Program at Cerritos College.

The event was held on Thursday, Sept. 17 from 11 a.m to noon in room BE 109.

Re-Entry Resource Specialist Shannon Estrada held the same event a year ago and enjoyed Sepulveda’s performance so much she invited her to host this one.

Estrada said, “The reason I host these workshops is to help students be successful in their educational journey and if we can offer some tips and strategies to help do that then that makes me happy.”

Psychology major Dalia Thomas found this workshop to be informative.

Psychology major Lucy Conde said, “I heard about this event from my professors and I feel this workshop can prepare [students] for the future.”

Accounting major Angelo Cumampao found out about the event from a poster he saw on campus.

He said, “This workshop can help anyone regardless if you are not in struggling in class, it helps you become a better learner.”

Cumampao said Sepulveda did a great job helping him understand with scenarios and gestures.

During the workshop students were asked to answer a questionnaire sheet and from there they discovered which learning style is their dominant style.

The following are the three learning styles and examples of how they are effective:

• Visual- usage of diagrams, color coded words, highlighters, circled and underlined words.
  • Auditory- usage of word association, spoken direction, repeat facts with eyes closed, group discussion, audio tapes for language practice, typing notes.
  • Kinesthetic/Tactile – taking lab classes, field trips, visiting museums, memory games.

Sepulveda said students will maximize their college experience if they discover what their dominant learning style is.

She added that by knowing the learning style it will have a student succeed in midterms and final exams.

Sepulveda will return to host a workshop about intimate partner violence.

The workshop will be Tuesday, Oct. 27 at 11 a.m., however, the room is to be determined.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013
Frank Rodarte
Frank Rodarte, Staff Writer
The multi-talented legend that is the man Frank Rodarte has come to be endeared throughout many a kick-backs, concerts and various other forms of social gatherings. While some note his odd claims to uniqueness, such as “Professional Crowd Surfer” or “Set list connoisseur”, most have come to appreciate his stage and media performances - ranging from short film actor to his band’s front man. All-in-all this music buff and sports fanatic is, when all is said and done, an entertainer, and his comedic personality is sure to win your vote. “Vote for what”, you may ask. Don’t you worry your pretty little head; he’s got this.