Coates envisions change for the school

Toni Reveles
Chief of Justice Trent Coates head of the table. This was during the ASCC first court meeting Tuesday Sept.29. Photo credit: Toni Reveles

With the new school year well under way, student government is making sure that the campus is well represented.

Newly appointed Chief Justice Trent Coates, plans to come up with fresh new ideas for student government and for the student body, as a whole, one by one in hopes that both will respond well to the ideas.

In the end, these ideas are to help the student body achieve a satisfactory experience that makes it enjoyable coming to school.

The process of becoming the chief justice lies in the hands of the Associated Students of Cerritos College President.

Any member of court can apply for the position.

As part of the application process, the applicants sit down with ASCC President Eduardo De La Rosa and talk about the position.

There’s no voting or campaigning, just presentation of what the person running can do to better the school.

Coates met De La Rosa during the 2015 spring semester, his first year involved with Cerritos College student government.

Over the summer, De La Rosa suggested to Coates that he apply for the chief justice position.

“He’s a hard worker, always the first to arrive and last to leave. He’s dedicated to the job and when going through the candidates he was, honestly, the best fit,” De La Rosa said.

According to De La Rosa, together they will work closely to bring good ideas to ASCC.

Among the ideas was a “change box.”

Like a suggestion box, a change box, allows students to write down any ideas they may have.

A student must write his name, e-mail, student ID and the idea in small detail.

After this process, it’s dropped in the “change box” and sent to a senator.

The student is then contacted, for a meeting, to discuss the proposal with a senate member.

Student awareness and involvement is something that Coates wants to focus on throughout the year.

“When students think of court they associate it with an entity that doesn’t do much and is not very personable,” Coates said.

This year Coates wants to change that.

He expects to have the other associated justices stand behind him, when it comes to referring to the bylaws that are set, when dealing with student conduct violations and offenses.”

“I plan to propose a few changes to some of the bylaws. Some of them are a bit sexist,” the chief justice commented.

Another idea is to have new uniforms for all members of the court.

There’s a yearly allowance of $18,000 set for getting the standard uniform.

“It feels great.” he said,” Last year I was the newest participant on court now […] well now I’m in one of the highest positions.”

Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.
Toni Reveles, Staff Writer
Hey my name is Toni Reveles, I'm 22 years old and I'm a journalism major. I love to write, my main passion to write about is sports and music. I love Basketball (Lakers) and Football (Raiders). I hope to be the next Erin Andrews and work for a television or radio station that covers sports and music. Hopefully you readers enjoy my stories!