Pep rally introduces homecoming court

Karla Enriquez
ASCC Vice President Ivan Oyarzabal and Areal Hughes, 2014 Homecoming Queen asked the Homecoming Court secret questions which were aimed to showcase the personality of the princesses. Homecoming Queen voting starts on Wednesday, Oct. 7 and end on Thursday, Oct 8. Photo credit: Karla Enriquez

With a drum line on beat and Franco the Falcon animating the crowd, Cerritos College was introduced to the fall 2015 homecoming court.

A small crowd cheered for the princesses from its spot in Falcon Square on Tuesday, Oct. 6.

The court was comprised of seven hopefuls who waited their turn to step up to the podium and pick a secret question from a basket.

ASCC Vice President Ivan Oyarzabal and 2014 Homecoming Queen Areal Hughes, served as the masters of ceremony and asked the court questions that ranged from where’d they rather live to which person from the past they’d like to meet.

Megan Kim, ICC rep for the Graphic Design Club, expressed that she would like to meet Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and ask what motivated him to strive and push for equality.

It was noted that Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society is sponsoring Kim.

April Macias, treasurer for the Dental Hygiene Club, said if she could live anywhere in the world she would stay in Southern California.

She listed diversity and working with people in the community as her reasons for staying local.

“This is where I’d rather be,” she mused.

Alveena Memon, vice president for iFalcon and member of Phi Theta Kappa is being sponsored by iFalcon.

“Today was an introduction of all of our princesses who made it on to court and it’s just a day to help everybody understand who has what number, a little bit about them by asking them questions, of course favorite reality show, what’s your perfect date, things like that,” Hughes said.

“They were pageant like questions, they reminded me of a pageant,” Kimberly Jimenez, dance major expressed.

Kim noted, “You know, some people were saying ‘this is kind of irrelevant to homecoming,’ but I guess it does kind of tie-in because those show your personality a bit.”

Kim expressed that the questions showed the princess’s personality and the answers were based on how the individual feels.

Hughes gave her opinion on what a homecoming queen is, she said, “[She] should be compassionate, caring, she should be a person who understands what it’s like to have a lot of diversity because we are in a diversified school, point blank and period.”

“A homecoming queen should be somebody who is able to talk to people, be charismatic, not be the typical Homecoming Queen,” she concluded.

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese