ASCC Senate to decide on a tobacco free campus

ASCC Senate has discussed the possibility of implementing a tobacco free campus policy.

Senator Hugo Avalos brought forth this legislative proposal on Wednesday, Jan. 27 which he specified would be different from a smoke-free campus policy.

Avalos wants a much stricter policy which would not only limit the use of cigarettes on campus, but it would also prohibit the use of vapes and e-cigarretes.

“It is a health hazard to our student body and I believe that we should be protecting our students[…] the current policies which state that a person can smoke 20 feet away from any entrance isn’t effective enough.

“If you visit the ‘no smoke’ sign over the social science building you will see there is an ashtray right by it… now what is that saying to our students?” Avalos discussed.

He presented various statistics to ASCC Senate in which he pointed out how harmful second hand smoke can be for those exposed.

Senate decided to move this item up for discussion/ action for the Feb. 3 meeting.

Senate has also discussed whether they would or wouldn’t support a Freudian Sip Cafe, which would be located inside the bookstore.

It doesn’t need to approve the item, but rather just take a stance of support.

A Freudian Sip Cafe would offer students a unique experience by having a cafe themed to their campus that would offer a place to relax and re-energize.

Senate postponed taking a stance until they were given figures stating how the campus would benefit from the investment.

Chantal Romero
Chantal Romero, Platforms Editor