Dr. JoAnna Schilling to leave Cerritos College in February

Vice President of Academic Affairs JoAnna Downey-Schilling speaks at a campus forum on campus on Feb. 23. Schilling, who previously served at Rio Hondo College and and after almost four-years at Cerritos College will return to the previous institution. Photo credit: Victor Diaz

After assuming the position of vice president / assistant superintendent of Academic Affairs of Cerritos College in 2012, the college will bid Dr. JoAnna Schilling farewell.

Schilling accepted the interim vice president of Academic Affairs position at Rio Hondo and is expected to start on Feb. 16, a day after she leaves Cerritos College.

Schilling stated, “I worked at Rio Hondo for almost seven years before coming to Cerritos, and have very deep connections at that college.

“They asked me to come back in this temporary position and it will be up to the board, faculty and staff if I stay there on a permanent basis. I decided, for personal reasons, to take this interim position.”

Schilling explained that an interim position is temporary and it is used by colleges to fill a position while a permanent person is found.

The vice president of Academic Affairs expressed that she wanted “to emphasize that [she has] really loved her almost 4 years at Cerritos”

“I think the students here are amazing and some of the most hard working, smart, and inspirational students I have ever met,” she said.

Schilling praised faculty, staff and managers as professionals and caring individuals who care about each other and the advancement of their students.

President of the Rio Hondo Board of Trustees Mary Ann Pacheco said, “I expect that Dr. Schilling will bring a breadth, depth, and wealth of experience, both personal and professional, to Rio Hondo College.

“Since she already has a knowledge of Rio Hondo’s culture, our staff and our students, I believe that she is well-prepared to rejoin the RHC team. I expect that she will feel welcomed and that she will provide creative and inclusive leadership,” said Pacheco.

Rio Hondo President Teresa Dreyfuss said she expects Schilling “to lead the college preparing accreditation midterm report due in Oct. 2017, increase our enrollment and lead the Academic Affairs Division to the next level.

Cerritos College President Dr. Jose Fierro described her departure as one of those that hit you in the stomach, but expressed he is happy for her.

“I’m obviously bummed that she is leaving. She has been really helpful to me ever since I got to the college, being new to the college and California.

“I have had to rely a lot on the advice of many people here including JoAnna and because of her job I have worked closely with her, so I have had the opportunity to get a lot of her advice,” he said.

Pacheco stated how long Schilling can hold an interim position at Rio Hondo.

“There is a legal limit to how long a position may be designated as interim. It may be as long as two years.

“The college district can designate it as permanent, rather than interim, at any time. Then, the regular hiring process (as per board policy) kicks in to fill the permanent position for anyone interested in it.”

According to Schilling, the previous Rio Hondo vice president returned to a faculty position after holding office for four years.

As for Cerritos College, Dr. Fierro stated that the college will expedite an interim search.

“[We] will try to continue some of the initiatives that she is putting together because she has done a lot of work in order to organize some of the pathways for programs and student graduation.

“I want to continue to move that forward so we need an interim to do that.”

He stated that a full search will take place during the fall.

Schilling concluded, “It has been an honor to work here. Leaving this wonderful college brings many mixed emotions. I am sad to leave Cerritos, but excited for this new challenge.”

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese