Faculty Senate raises concerns in drop deadlines

Classes closed for students last Friday but somehow some professors end up with students who were enrolled in the class but not on the roster. This led to crowded classes and some students out of a class.

This was one of the issues Faculty Senate discussed during their meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 2.

The senate also discussed service learning for students and a change in student conduct policy, AP 5520.

Members of the senate raised concerns about students being excluded from classes because of the drop deadlines. The argument was that on the MyCerritos side, classes that said “closed” might still have room.

“When the classes close and there are seats available, how do we get students in those classes?” said Dara Worrel, math professor.

One of the underlying arguments was that the PeopleSoft portion of the class schedule website should include a type of disclaimer that said that students may still be able to add even if the class is closed, another was that students were not using the MyCerritos class schedule correctly.

Worrel added, “Just informing students to show them what’s open and available for them to get into.”

The service learning presentation was presented by Speech Professor Kimberly Rosenfeld and Jan Connal from the counseling department.

The goal was to present professors with the idea of having service learning throughout all departments.

They passed a survey to see if professors already had these in their curriculum.

Some majors have service learning programs already built in such as the nursing program.

Rosenfeld explained that service learning is so that students can connect what they’re learning to the community.

“It’s usually done as an assignment,” she said.

Rosenfeld added, “Let’s bring that experience into the classroom and have a discussion,”

According to Connal, the initiative aims to achieve a broader student engagement in service learning.

She added, “We know that it works […] what we’re wanting is for any instructor, any class to use it to edify their learning, and use it in the real world.”

They both agreed that students would gain the most from service learning.

An addendum had to be made to the agenda to be able to discuss the student conduct policy since it was left out of the first agenda.

The issue was that the senate wanted to separate the duty of the dean of Student Services and that of the judicial officer.

The two positions were merged when the previous officer left the position.

The senate argued that the two position needed delineation and that the position of the judicial officer should fall to the faculty.

Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.