A dress code on campus would interfere with students rights as adults

For Cerritos College to enforce a dress code would completely take away from its students’ freedom.

If any student has a problem with somebody’s clothing, that person has the right to respectfully approach their peer and directly state their problem because we are adults and we can handle our own issues.

We have all moved on from high school, and with that transition, we gain the freedom of choosing our schedule and what path of life we want to take in college. Why should we be given limits with our clothing?

Most, if not all college students are over the age of 18 and have been given responsibilities and new freedoms, so we should be given more faith in our choice of clothing, and more respect for us as the adults we have all become.

Students are aware that this is a place of education and are not wearing clothing that would be considered inappropriate in terms of a new dress code, if one were to be enforced.

What would these rules be and how will they be regulated? It would be a hard rule to enforce with such a big school and large number of students.

There are more students here than teachers and staff, and the school would most likely have to hire more security to patrol the campus as well as the ones we have that patrol the parking lots.

For our school to spend money on things like that when it could be spent on a lot of other things benefiting our students would cause some students to be very unhappy.

Having grown up over the years, most of us are out of that immature stage which causes the way that someone dresses to be a distraction.

Most of us are planning to enter the workforce after college, and some students even have part time jobs while attending school.

We are mature and dress in a way that will give people the impression that we want to move on into a higher education and eventually gain a job.

We want freedom that we have worked hard. We respect our school and we even embrace our pride to go here.

Clothes don’t reflect on our grades, our work ethic does.

Why can’t we get that respect back and continue to wear what we want?

Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.