A sedentary lifestyle has negative influences on your body

Today’s heavy reliance on technology for social purposes or personal amusement is a negative influence on the student’s mind and body.

The prevalence of technology has influenced an unhealthy, sedentary behavior that is interfering with student’s health, education and social life.

The sedentary lifestyle is a life of inactivity and the individuals who abide by such a lifestyle are damaging their health.

Our culture in society values the sedentary lifestyle because of the technological advances we have accumulated.

Albert Einstein once said, “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”

Those days are here.

Look around you, it is all too common to see people spending obscene amounts of time hunched over staring at their tablets or cellular devices, playing video games, or watching television.

Although amusing, these hobbies are commonly abused and have a negative impact on our lifestyles which leads to sedentary habits that affect overall health.

Physical inactivity is one of the leading causes of preventable death worldwide according to The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. Sedentary habits can lead to cardiovascular disease, obesity and even cancer.

A way to prevent such risks on our health is to take a ten minute break every hour in order to get the circulation flowing throughout our body. Additionally, letting our eyes take a break from the strain that it endures from the light emitted from devices.

As stated, these risks are all preventable with proper moderation on our use of technology, however this kind of advice is often overlooked with the mindset that these things will never happen to us.

There is a tendency to brush off advice like this, there is also a tendency to brush off our educational studies in favor of technology.

How many times has one chosen to play video games or watch the latest episode of Breaking Bad over doing homework or studying for our exams?

Grades suffer with lack of discipline and effort. If the focus and attention is set on our tablets and phones, then what are our students even doing in school?

Technology itself is not the plague that strikes our health or our education.

The way one conducts themselves and how one abuses such technological advances is what damages our very mind and body.

Ignorance only proves Einstein’s point that the world indeed is filled with a generation of idiots.

Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).