Smoking zones will keep everybody happy

People who smoke shouldn’t be allowed to just walk around anywhere they please. Non-smoker’s lives can be at risk by this.

If there are zones, in public places, for smokers to relax and take a hit of a cigarette for a while, that is the best solution.

A negative effect of people smoking where ever they want is that some other people who may have asthma or just don’t like the feeling of smoke hitting their face will get mad.

An altercation could begin between the two, with the smoker wanting to just be alone and smoke, and the non-smoker wanting to be alone and breathe fresh air.

This altercation isn’t necessary. It can be avoided if smokers just stayed in a clearly-marked “smoking zone” for the duration of their time smoking.

Both parties get what they want, the smokers get to smoke and non-smokers get to move along with their day smoke-free.

Socialization is another factor that plays a part in why smokers should be restricted to only smoking in smoking zones.

If all smokers are together, then clearly you are already around people that have a common interest with you.

Back in the day that’s all people smoked for, to “look cool” and socialize at parties.

Some of that still rings true today. At parties or other social gatherings, people who smoke gather together outside and talk while smoking.

Why can’t that happen at a school, or outside of the workplace or a theme park?

Think about this, for the smokers, a smoking zone is better than a not having a place to smoke, and then you get rid of angry people and dirty looks.

What if a smoker was walking through Falcon Square on campus and it got windy outside, and you are walking past that person and the smoke from the cigarette blew right into your face.

You would start coughing and if you had weak lungs that wouldn’t be pleasant.

The smoker’s argument would be to just not walk in front of them. But what if they were actually walking by you.

Or your paths just crossed naturally while rushing to class, so many different incidents could of happened in that moment.

The way to avoid that is smoking zones, not taking away smokers’ rights it is still a hobby they choose to do, unless it became illegal for now smoking zones are the right way to go.

Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.