The minority should not be the majority

Cerritos College is a Hispanic prominent school, but that doesn’t mean that its ethnic makeup should be the sole focus or theme of the college; focusing on Cerritos College’s Hispanic-majority student body would set the precedent that some students are more important than others, which is not right.

In a Board of Trustees meeting where an issue regarding law firms and fund distribution was being addressed, there was talk from one of the representatives, Carmen Avalos, that the board should side with the “minority” firm as an example to the college and stressed the importance of the Hispanic community.

Although the Hispanic community, along with the rest of the “minorities,” is a welcomed presence to Cerritos College, it should not be the platform or basis in which the foundation of the college is grounded on.

The problem with singling out one specific group is that it alienates others.

The school could not afford to please a certain group of people just because they are the so-called “minority.”

It gives the impression that one set of students is more valuable than the other, and that is not the value, concept or message that the college is trying to convey.

According to school president Dr. Linda Lacy from the school’s website, the goal of Cerritos College is to promote student success and the college’s highest priority is to move students to their academic goals.

One cannot be blinded by forceful issues on “minorities.”

The students are one body and one entity.

More specificity is needed when it comes to the college.

What entitles the Hispanic community such recognition that a specific firm should be selected in its honor?

By no means is that meant to antagonize a certain ethnicity or group, but it is a legitimate question that needs to be posed if a big picture decision is going to be made on a college campus.

Stop focusing on “minority this” and “minority that.”

No group should be thinking that way and have that mindset. One group is not better than the other.

Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).