The police shouldn’t have double standards

As we grow up, we are often told to follow the rules, don’t break the law, and don’t get into trouble.

We need role models as we grow to instill this into our lives, but that’s hard to do when we see some of the biggest role models breaking the law.

This demonstration of role models breaking the law can be often seen in police officers.

Police officers are set in place in society to “serve and protect,” but we all know it goes beyond that.

It’s hard to respect a law if you see “the law” ignoring, disrespecting and breaking it.

While driving I often see police officers drive in their patrol cars talking on their cell phone.

This is frustrating because there are a lot of people who get stopped by police and cited for the use of their cell phone while driving.

Yes we all know it’s illegal and dangerous, but it still happens and it should stop. This disregard for the law can start and should start with police officers.

It’s hard to listen to someone telling you “stop doing that” if they are doing it themselves.

According to nolo.com the fee for the first offense of talking on a cell phone while driving, plus penalty assessments is $76 and the second offense is $190.

It’s ridiculous to think that someone may have to pay this fee while the police officer citing them is going around doing the same with no penalties.

The thought comes to mind on “Why do they think they can get away with this?”

What will society think when a police officer gets into an accident while talking on his/her cell phone?

Do people have to get injured or killed for this issue to come to the point of officers stopping this offense and stepping up to lead by example.

Now, everyone should follow this law. It is dangerous to be distracted while driving.

It only encourages people to do it more if they see a police officer driving distracted while using his/her cell phone.

It’s the same concept of doctors telling a patient to stop smoking, yet when that patient drives away they see their doctor on break outside smoking.

It’s always “do as I say, not as a I do” as children are often told by their parents.

This is the way of the past and doesn’t make as much sense as people think it does.

Lead by example. Don’t go preaching something you don’t follow yourself. Don’t let this double standard go on any longer than it has to.

It’s time for a change where what’s illegal and dangerous should be listened to, what’s a law shouldn’t be broken and what’s dangerous shouldn’t be ignored.

There are so many consequences, seriously the risk is not worth it.

Alexandra Scoville
Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.