Christmas marketing overshadows the spirit of giving thanks

With all of the Halloween decorations being taken off by restaurants, stores, neighborhood homes and even amusement parks, the Christmas ornaments have finally arrived.

Though Thanksgiving, theoretically, comes right before Christmas, it appears that these places are forgetting about the “turkey day” spirit and jumping right into the anticipated December holiday.

And what could possibly be the cause of that?

Two words: Christmas Marketing.

According to Country 106.5 WYRK, “‘In a study/poll conducted by Allrecipes.com called “Respect The BirdMore than 80% of people polled feel that Thanksgiving is overlooked because of X-mas marketing in late October.'”

Every person likes to Christmas shop, especially in November, because there are specials and discounts, such as on Black Friday.

From the decorations to the music, the Christmas season is an easy thing that individuals get caught up in.

With Thanksgiving, there really are no “cool” decorations, besides turkeys, autumn colored leaves and well, that is pretty much it.

It is easy to understand why people are more drawn to the Christmas hats, trees, santa clause ornaments, presents and Christmas lights.

Truth is, there is more variety with Christmas and more fun things to do.

But Thanksgiving is an important holiday too. Despite the fact that the origins of the holiday have been forgotten and may appear a bit sketchy to some people, the idea behind giving thanks for what one has in their lives are remarkable.

Each day, we allow ourselves to take things for granted in our life. Thanksgiving is the time of the year for us to reflect on everything we have been given. It is a selfless holiday filled with family and food and time to contemplate.

Yet the holiday where we spend hundreds of dollars and often times can be selfish with the things we buy, is praised more than the priceless day where only a simply gesture, a simple word is needed.

Katherine Grijalva, Arts Editor
Hello, my name is Katherine. Just a 21 year old gal who happens to be the Arts Editor this semester. Former Opinion Copy Editor. I am majoring in Journalism with a concentration in Public Relations. Aside from writing I enjoy attending concerts, Disneyland trips, eating, shopping, and surfing the web and find out the latest news.