Robin Hood Education

Where should the money come from to allow students to go to community college for free for two years?

One suggestion is to increase taxes for the rich, but it is not the responsibility of the wealthy to take care of those who make less money than they do.

A college education is a privilege, not a right.

Student loans are available to those who cannot afford to pay for college upfront and do not qualify for a fee-waiver.

The wealthy did not get where they are based on handouts. They have had to continuously sacrifice and work hard for their income.

What if upper class money disappeared? The money a student would get for free community college would also disappear after two years.

In Calif., the overcrowding at community colleges is so severe that it takes more than two years to get an Associates degree.

Students who could not otherwise attend college without it being free would not be able to complete their degree and all of that money would then be wasted.

For students living in a state that does not have the overcrowding issue, how are they going to afford a four-year university that is much more expensive upon transferring?

Many students would never advance their education beyond the two free years and, again, that money would be wasted.

An associates degree is not a degree that makes its holder employable. In order to be qualified for a career, a Bachelor’s degree is the bare minimum requirement.

This means that the government would be taking money from the rich and using it to pay for a generally useless degree.

I understand how difficult it is to pay for college on top of other expenses, but I work hard, save money and do what I need to do to get through school because my education is my responsibility.

The wealthy are not America’s checkbook and should not be expected to support anyone but themselves.

Laura Brown
Laura Brown, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 My name is Laura Brown and I am a journalism major at Cerritos College. After this semester, I hope to attend CSUN and major in journalism with a focus in Public Relations. My ultimate goal is to work in PR in the entertainment industry. I really enjoy writing and making current events available to the public.